Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting on a demilune table with a drawer for my wife. I have always enjoyed seeing the build threads around here, so I figure after being a member for over three years, I'll try posting my work as I go along.

At this point, I have no jointer, planer, or bandsaw. I have a table saw, miter saw, jig saw, and two routers. My power tools are in a plastic sheeted section of the basement. I will definitely have some tooling issues to work around. Unless I crack open the wallet....

I bought the wood from a lumber yard 5 weeks ago and let it sit in the storage room of the basement. That's long enough.

Lets get started!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, May 28 is the start date.

Here are the boards that I hope to make into a nice piece of furniture. Poplar and walnut in the first picture, curly cherry in the second.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May 28

My full size template, the table will be 32" x 12":
Drawing Line Design Architecture Pattern

I also printed a copy on regular paper, sprayed it to some mdf, for a template for the table top. I cut it with the jigsaw and a bit of sanding left it feeling very nice.
Design Architecture

Once the template was done, it was time to find the section of the walnut boards I wanted for the table top.

Wood Plywood Ceiling Table Wood stain

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May 29

I cross cut the poplar on the miter saw to 33" for the 30" long legs, then using the edge ripped at the lumber yard, squared the other side.
Wood Plywood Table Glass Flooring

I found the section of the walnut boards I wanted for the top. I cross cut those to length, then also ripped with the lumber yard edge.
Table Plywood Surfboard Wood Furniture

I wasnt quite happy with how they came together, so then I put them on my tapering jig to clean up the edges. I built the tapering jig specifically for the legs, but getting a good edge on a board is a useful application as well.

Tool Table saws Table saw Wood Jointer

I had the boards planed at the lumber yard, but they are still a bit off. I am going to make a router sled type flattening/planing jig. That will cost me a lot less than a new #6 plane, and it will be easier for my skill set.

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Sanchez, I can feel your pain with a less than industrial workshop... I'm still in a single garage. Which is very hard to work with at times. But it does the trick! haha I'm really looking forward to seeing this beautiful piece come together!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm Watching

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, not a lot of productive woodworking this weekend. Saturday I did some yard work and the neighbors had us over. Today I went to church and my nephew's birthday party.

I got my flattening/planing jig together on Saturday.
Wood shaper Machine Mortiser Tool Tool accessory

I hope to get the two boards for the top glued together on Monday.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, Monday night went rather poorly.

The two boards I had chosen (a little over 6" wide each) for the top didn't have a clean edge to glue up, so I tried trimming them on the saw and jointing them on the router table. After all that, they were 1/2" too narrow for the 12" top, so I decided to go with a three board top.

So I used my tapering jig again to cut the clean edge on the third board and ripped the three to 4 1/4" each. I was still having a bunch of trouble getting a clean edge, so I again tried trimming them down. BY this point I now had three boards that were barely going to be 12"!:furious::censored:

So late Monday night I finally figured out the trouble was my tapering jig. My runner was a bit deeper than the miter slot, so the jig would rock just a hair as I pushed it through, making the cuts a bit cupped.

Lesson from Monday night. TEST JIGS WITH SCRAP, OR YOU MAKE YOUR GOOD WOOD CRAP!!!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tuesday June 4, much better evening:

I planed down the offending runner on my tapering jig with my trusty free Great Neck #4.

I got perfect clean edges on all the boards, ready for glue-up. I took the cutoff from the center board and glued it back where the grain lines up. I hope with only a sawkerf or two missing it will look like one board.
Machine Tool
Wood Beam Ceiling

Then since I was happy I cut the blanks for the 1.5" tapered legs.
Wood Table Table saw Tool

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Im in for the ride! your off to a great start!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I have another in Cherry coming up soon! I'll be watching what ya do... You already ahead of me, :laughing: I hardly sketch pieces much less draw em up in cad! :thumbsup:
That's not cad. That is MS Visio. I am only patient enough to draw out one dimension. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
June 5:

I got home late from work, so I didn't get a lot done. I got the three (and half) boards clamped together after cleaning them up last night. They looked great, no gaps!
Wood Table Plywood Hardwood Workbench

I put the template on them and adjusted a bit for looks.
Surfboard Architecture Arch

I glued up the three boards for the top. Yes, those legs I cut last night make good cauls.
Workbench Machine Wood Table

Probably no updates until the weekend. I am going to the ball game tomorrow night at the company luxury suite :thumbsup:. Friday night is for my girls.

Saturday I hope to get the legs tapered and mortised. And maybe a start on the bending forms for the apron/drawer front.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
June 8:

There wasn't a lot of progress today. I spent most of the day out with my wife and youngest daughter.

I got the top cut. I cut it to rough size and shape with the jigsaw, then nailed the pattern to it and used a flush trim bit.

Wood Table Plywood

Wood Plywood Table Furniture Hardwood

I also got the templates done for the bending forms. One for the drawer part of the apron and one for both of the sides.

Design Table Architecture Wood

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
June 9:

Today I made the bending forms for the aprons and started on the forms for the drawer.

I ripped a bunch of 3" wide strips of 3/4" plywood. I cut them in batches to 12" wide for the aprons and 16" wide for the drawer.

I cut out the 3/4" plywood with my jigsaw.

Wood Floor Plywood Table Flooring

I used the template nailed to the plywood and matched it up with a flush trim bit.

Circle Wood Table Plywood

I screwed each piece to the prior layer and trimmed to match.

Wood Plywood Wood stain Hardwood

Shortly after the first few times, I figured out I could attach two layers at once on opposite sides and trim to match the center.

Wood Plywood Paper Paper product

And finally, the male/female bending forms for the side aprons are done. I can use one for both sides of the apron, they are just flipped vertically.

Wood

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
June 12

It's been a while since I updated. Today I got the bending form done for the drawer.
Plywood Wood Table Furniture

I made a tall auxiliary fence to help when I have to resaw the laminations. Which will actually only be about 3 inches tall, but hey, why not make a tall side on the aux fence...
Table Wood Floor Plywood Table saw

I put the legs on the full size drawing to mark off the width of the aprons and drawer so I could mark for the mortises.
Floor Wood Hardwood Flooring Tile

Now I can mark off the appropriate placement for the mortises.
Wood Hardwood Plywood Floor Flooring

1 - 20 of 138 Posts