Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's from Penn State. It's a beautiful pizza cutter kit.
Has anybody done one of these kits? The directions say to drill a 1/2 inch hole in each end....which I did and lined up perfectly.

My question is, why does the 1/2 inch hole seem too large. I haven't glued them yet because I wanted to see the replies that I got from here.

I plan on using"Gorilla Epoxy". The package says...."Bonds: metal, wood, ceramic, glass, most plastic and more."
Do you think I'll be OK?
Not a big deal if something goes wrong, just don't want to ruin a pretty good handle that I made.

Thank you
Dick

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Ive only used the WoodCraft pizza cutter kits but I went to PSI website and looked at the instructions for yours. Yes 1/2" looks huge. I have no idea why they would have you drill such a large hols and glue in the insert rather than thread the insert in. At the other end, it looks like youll need a ton of adhesive to glue that little plug inb that big hole. I believe I would have measured the plugged and drilled something a little closer. I would also thread the insert in rather than glue it.

Yes, your epoxy will work fine. If its a 5 minute epoxy youll have to work fast. That stuff sets up quick! Be sure and rough up the stem of the parts so the epoxy will get a bite. It wont hold smooth chrome very long unless you rough it up a bit.

·
7,222 Posts
It's from Penn State. It's a beautiful pizza cutter kit.
Has anybody done one of these kits? The directions say to drill a 1/2 inch hole in each end....which I did and lined up perfectly.

My question is, why does the 1/2 inch hole seem too large. I haven't glued them yet because I wanted to see the replies that I got from here.
The hole seems too large, because it is too large. PSI instructions are to make a clearance hole so the threaded insert does not have to thread. Easier to install, but then you need glue - CA or epoxy to secure the insert.

If the insert has a thread, then perhaps a 15/32in dia hole would work, as it does for the Woodcraft Pizza Cutter kits. This does require the insert to be threaded into the hole.

I use a piece of 5/16in all-thread and a double nut, regular nut and coupler nut to screw in the insert. Once the insert is in place, I unscrew the nut and coupler nut, then the all-thread is easy to remove.

·
2,442 Posts
The hole seems too large, because it is too large. PSI instructions are to make a clearance hole so the threaded insert does not have to thread. Easier to install, but then you need glue - CA or epoxy to secure the insert.

If the insert has a thread, then perhaps a 15/32in dia hole would work, as it does for the Woodcraft Pizza Cutter kits. This does require the insert to be threaded into the hole.

I use a piece of 5/16in all-thread and a double nut, regular nut and coupler nut to screw in the insert. Once the insert is in place, I unscrew the nut and coupler nut, then the all-thread is easy to remove.
I made mine also. I thought it was rediculous to buy the install tool when I could make one for pennies. I used a 5/16" bolt and a nut. I put the insert on the end of the bolt and then run the nut down tight against it to lock it on there. I have a hard time getting them to thread on perfectly square though.

·
7,222 Posts
I have a hard time getting them to thread on perfectly square though.
I also find threading to be a challenge.

My method to help, but not eliminate, skewing when I thread on the insert is to have the piece of all-thread longer by 1/2-1 in. I then use a drill chuck in the tailstock and close the drill chuck so it is a loose fit around the all-thread. I advance the insert with a wrench, and the tailstock by hand to keep the drill chuck close to the nuts.

This helps my alignment. May not be perfectly true, but closer than by hand alone.

·
2,442 Posts

My method to help, but not eliminate, skewing when I thread on the insert is to have the piece of all-thread longer by 1/2-1 in. I then use a drill chuck in the tailstock and close the drill chuck so it is a loose fit around the all-thread. I advance the insert with a wrench, and the tailstock by hand to keep the drill chuck close to the nuts.

This helps my alignment. May not be perfectly true, but closer than by hand alone.
Yeah, that sounds like a much better way than doing it by hand. Ill give that a try!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

What is the thread on the outside of the insert? Is it a machine tap size?

·
7,222 Posts
What is the thread on the outside of the insert? Is it a machine tap size?
Not a machine thread, not a wood tap thread. So far I have not been able to determine the specification.

I have some steel threaded inserts from Rockler which I can use in case one of the kit inserts fail, but normally once I screw in the kit insert I am not able to get it out with just the slots for a flat blade screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I bought a few of them from Rockler's and it seems to me that the hole called out in the instructions was closer to 3/8", but anyway, it screwed easily into the wood. However, I can see that they don't want to be replacing inserts that broke from being over torqued. It appears to me that the inserts are made of die-cast zinc, which can break rather easily. Of course, the threaded insert is a very nice feature that allows the wheel assembly to be unscrewed from the handle to be washed. The only problem that I have encountered from the big wheel cutters is that it won't work with a pizza that is in a pizza baking pan because the side of the pan interferes with cutting any closer than about 2½" from the edge. If it is a store-bought pizza then no problem because there is no pan involved.

·
7,222 Posts
The inserts differ between the kit manufacturers.

For the Woodcraft kits, I drill a 15/32in hole. A smaller hole can be too difficult to screw in the insert depending on the wood being used for the handle.

The insert is 1/2in diameter. I was surprised at how difficult it was to use a smaller hole than 15/32in.

I am able to screw in the inserts into a 15/32in hole for even dense woods.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The inserts differ between the kit manufacturers.

For the Woodcraft kits, I drill a 15/32in hole. A smaller hole can be too difficult to screw in the insert depending on the wood being used for the handle.

The insert is 1/2in diameter. I was surprised at how difficult it was to use a smaller hole than 15/32in.

I am able to screw in the inserts into a 15/32in hole for even dense woods.
Dave and others, I think you need to check out the country of origin on the kits from PSI.... I think you will find they are from Nations that do not use the English system of measure. I have made a few kits from PSI too and the first thing I do is ignore the drilling instruction because the kits are all Metric!!! Check it out, and get a set of nice metric drills and you will be set... Also, you need a few metric Tap and dies.... Then your thread will fit....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This post has been drifting away from my original post which stated the problem that I was having with the "Penn State" pizza cutter.

I think Syd Sellers might have solved the problem....makes sense to me.

Thank you all for your time.
Dick

·
2,442 Posts
Sorry if you feel like we jacked your thread but several suggestions were made and you didnt return to your thread for a week. Besides, the topic never change from the pizza cutter and if anything, the posts were tips that should help you in future pizza cutter making!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry also, I certainly didn't want to offend anybody and actually, I didn't think that I said anything that would offend anybody.
I was simply asking a question about a problem that I was having with an existing Penn State pizza cutter not future pizza cutter kits.
I guess the way I worded it sounded different to you. I'll try to watch how I word things in the future.
This forum has been a great help to me and I sincerely thank all of the people that have offered me help and advice.

Respectfully,
Dick

·
2,442 Posts
No worries, im not offended. I should have never replied. Sometimes I post things and then read them later and realize that I sound like a jerk. Im really not, I promise!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts