Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Lowes last night, and they were assembling a new delta saw, it look like something to go against the Ridgid 4512, it is also on there web site for $599.00

·
Registered
108 Posts
In looking at it online it looks a lot and is very similar to the Ridgid down to the motor. the fence on the Delta looks like a bit of an upgrade.

<EDIT Jan 28>
In person it looks nothing at all like a ridgid. It has the same motor as my porter cable bandsaw. and the cast iron table pieces look very very small.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It doesn't look to me to share the ridgid or craftsman architecture. And....I think we just found out why there were t2 fence shortages. That looks like one heck of a nice saw for the money.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What's the model of the Delta saw?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I am glad to see some new products coming from Delta. I hope this means they are getting back on track, in both product development and more importantly, stocking parts for older machines. This looks like a decent saw from first glances. I wonder if Ryan is right and this is where all the T2 fences have been going. I still want to get a T2 some day and hope that their supply is being replenished.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you look close at the pictures on lowes site it looks like the front rail is split and on a t2 the rails aren't split. Hope I didn't disappoint anyone with that little bit of information.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The fence could still be the T2 fence....I assume they split the rails to make shipping affordable.

·
where's my table saw?
28,153 Posts
If you get one....

If you look close at the pictures on lowes site it looks like the front rail is split and on a t2 the rails aren't split. Hope I didn't disappoint anyone with that little bit of information.
Make a hardwood block that fits snuggly in the two rails to keep them from shifting. No one will know or care if it works/slides across without a "hic up". Maybe file the ends a bit to get a small chamfer also..... :blink:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were assembling it on Friday, so maybe Monday I get a time to stop at lowes and check it out, don't need a saw for now, my Ridgid 4512 is fine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The problem with split rails isn't the interface between the 2 having a bump, but the pieces not being perfectly in-line/in-plane. When that happens you can only make one side of the split rail perpendicular to the mitre slots/blade. And once your fence straddles or crosses the joint connecting the split rail, it will no longer be in perpendicular alignment.

Typically not a problem for most people who don't use the fence to the left of the blade. Can show up when you're doing a close cut to the blade as the split-rail joint is normally right at the blade. If your split rail does this, you have to disconnect and reconnect until you get them perfectly in-line. Then you can worry about the "bump".

·
Registered
652 Posts
I checked one of my local lowes yesterday for this machine, apparently they don't have it in stock yet. i also wanted to check out the kobalt portable boasting belt drive they show online, but its not in stock either.
Im very curious how identical the fence on the new delta is to the T2, if i decided to swap out the craftsman 113. im currently running might just swap its T2 over to the delta. (now trying to mentally count how many saws this T2 has called home lol).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone have any more information about this? Just saw it last night and while it looked good I wanted to see if anyone had actually gotten to use one.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No ones posted that they've bought one. From the onset, it appears to be a pretty potent r4512 fighter

·
Registered
25 Posts
I realize that weight doesnt always equate to quality by any means.

But the 60 pound difference between this and the R4512 / 21833 is interesting.

Looking to buy a new saw in this category

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
While I agree that more weight doesn't necessarily equate to better quality I wonder if it might equate to greater stability thus safety.

I have a craftsman bench top on a factory stand that I use in the field. It wants to tip away from me when I feed longer stock and can't place my foot on the bottom rail of the stand.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The bottom stand difference is probably 15 pounds.....I too wonder where the rest is. I'd wonder if that's wrong on the weights

The t2 fence should be a great benefit to this saw.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks like a direct competitor of r4512. Fence looks better than on r4512 but it also has split rails. Imho it's not good. Split rails is one of the reasons why I want to by Vega Pro for my r4512.

Also I noticed that spec says 2.5 inch dust port. Imho it is also disadvantage. Shop vac cannot move big air volume that a table saw needs. I would expect to have issues with dust on Delta.

Other specs are same as for r4512.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts