Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Think I just came across a steal of a deal. Please tell me what you think and if this saw is worthy of being a mainstay in my hobby woodshop for 5-10 years! Below is what's listed in the ad. I'm going to see it this afternoon and want to know if I should take cash with me or not ;). Thanks!!

He's asking $650 for it but I was thinking about handing him $600.

The ad says: 10" Delta tablesaw with Biesemeyer fence, table allows up to 51" cuts. Wired 220. Just don't use anymore. Great saw!! Call\text with any ?s. Cuts square and true. See photos.

Attachments

·
Senior Something
1,126 Posts
Dang! Where do yo live? Two good saw listings in a couple of days. I only see one every 6 months or so.

Back to the saw: How many HP is it? It looks like it's been taken care of, so my guess if its 3 or 5 HP, it's worth $600.

On a side note, anyone, isn't 1.5 HP under powered for a Unisaw or any cabinet saw for that matter?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You had better get your arse over there fast. That appears to be one of the anniversary saws they made back in the 90's (the Ivory color) they advertised it with a pic of Norm leaning against it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Make sure it's single phase.....and if it is you should already be in the car.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If it's single phase, give him the $650 and you'll both smile. :thumbsup: Worth noting that it's right tilt....not a deal breaker for me....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Right tilt, especially if the operator is inexperienced, would be a deal breaker for me. I refurbed, and sold, a 70s vintages unisaw, which I got for $40 in gas money to see what all the fuss was about unisaws. I don't miss it at all, except when bragging rights to old machinery ownership come up. It's a good price for that saw(mine went for $850 with the OEM fence). I just don't care for saws whose blade tilts towards the fence when it's time for bevel rips. Moving the fence to the left of the blade will address this for relatively narrow rips, but the majority of the rip capacity is to the right of the blade. There is a slightly enhanced opportunity for kickback on bevel rips as the work piece can get trapped between the fence and the blade.

If that potential safety issue isn't an issue for you, get the referenced saw. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just saw the saw. Looks sharp. I'm going to get money. He claims there are several people calling him about it luckily I was first on the scene

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just bought the saw and I'm leaving the guys house headed home. I'll have more to report later with pictures maybe a short video about it thanks for all your input

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just paid more than twice that for a next to new delta platinum edition. Yours looks just as nice. Is that a real 3 hp saw? Lucky devil. Got the mobile base and a delta tenon jig with mine(though I rarely have need for that). Congrats you have a beautiful saw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right tilt, especially if the operator is inexperienced, would be a deal breaker for me. I refurbed, and sold, a 70s vintages unisaw, which I got for $40 in gas money to see what all the fuss was about unisaws. I don't miss it at all, except when bragging rights to old machinery ownership come up. It's a good price for that saw(mine went for $850 with the OEM fence). I just don't care for saws whose blade tilts towards the fence when it's time for bevel rips. Moving the fence to the left of the blade will address this for relatively narrow rips, but the majority of the rip capacity is to the right of the blade. There is a slightly enhanced opportunity for kickback on bevel rips as the work piece can get trapped between the fence and the blade.

If that potential safety issue isn't an issue for you, get the referenced saw. Good luck with your search.

I chose a right tilt on purpose. I already have a left tilt saw (ok it's a contractors saw with the legs but its plenty strong. I wanted a right tilt so I can add a sliding table attachment and make really clean face up bevel cuts on panels with the slider and use the contractors saw for the odd left tilt necessity. So...I have a shop with two table saws set up. Does that mean I'm a balla now?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Kitchenator said:
I just paid more than twice that for a next to new delta platinum edition. Yours looks just as nice. Is that a real 3 hp saw? Lucky devil. Got the mobile base and a delta tenon jig with mine(though I rarely have need for that). Congrats you have a beautiful saw.
Also it's a model 36-815. Anyone know anything about this lump of iron that's now in my garage!? The web is pretty sparse w info, based on my short time spent exploring for info and reviews.

Here's a pic of the motor ID tag

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kitchenator said:
I chose a right tilt on purpose. I already have a left tilt saw (ok it's a contractors saw with the legs but its plenty strong. I wanted a right tilt so I can add a sliding table attachment and make really clean face up bevel cuts on panels with the slider and use the contractors saw for the odd left tilt necessity. So...I have a shop with two table saws set up. Does that mean I'm a balla now?
A balla indeed. You are both a scholar, and a gentleman, Dr. kitchenator ;)

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Just saw the saw. Looks sharp. I'm going to get money. He claims there are several people calling him about it luckily I was first on the scene
Always bring cash when you go look. Even if its just enough as a deposit to hold it. you say your coming back but someone else shows up with cash in hand and you could lose it.

Well next time. Glad it worked out for you and you got a great deal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts