Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke of this on another thread a while back, and now have the saw nearly completed. It is a 1984 model # 34-801, which I purchased at an estate auction. It was raining that day, and with the power tools sitting outside being of the last items to sell, I thought I had a shot at getting it. The saw had a rusty top, no fence, the fence support bars were laying on top of it, and had never been mounted to the saw. There was rust and flaking paint all around the bottom, and it had no fence. I had no idea if it would even run, but knew it would be "worth a chance."

Looking around at the other items up for auction, I spotted an unopened box with a Delta label on it. The box was old, damp, and just crummy looking. I had a feeling it might be a fence for the Unisaw, so I tore open a corner to confirm my suspicions. I bought several woodworking hand power tools throughout the sale. The fence came up for bid, and I think I was the only person in attendance who knew what was in the box. I bought it for $4.

A short while later, the big power tools began to sell. I was high bidder on a shaper, and on a very nice Delta 6" x 48" belt sander w/12" disc., and a great Maple woodworkers workbench. The rain had been spotty all day, and there were few persons still at the sale. The Unisaw, in it's somewhat suspect condition was about to sell.........I remember there being one other guy looking it over, and he was not there at the end. I was the high bidder, and the auctioneer stated, "Good buy on that one." He knew that I had just made a very good deal on a potentially fine piece of equipment. I winked at him in response, and went to the trailer to cash out.

I'm still missing a knob assembly which tightens down the angle changing wheel, and the motor cover is not with the saw. My son and I have been working on the old tool, and have done various repairs and improvements , in order to bring it back into very good condition. We started working on the tabletop first, by using WD-40, very fine metal sandpaper, and Scotchbrite pads. I had a local machine shop fabricate the four bolts and spacers, needed to mount the fence support bars onto the table. We moved on to inspect and repair the mechanicals of the saw, and replaced the arbor bearings. Next came the sanding, priming, and painting, then reassembly. We made a portable base using some recycled Oak floor boards from an equipment trailer. The base hardware is a Delta 50-435, and moves the saw around very easily.

I've attached a few pictures of our Delta 10" Unisaw, which we had a great time bringing back to life, and are very proud of our efforts in the task.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
doncha just love bring a great tool back from the brink?

Great job, looks like a new one! We had one like that in the school shop in college. We worked it hard, but it never faltered. :thumbsup:

Reactions: cey146

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well done, you can be justifiably proud of that.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Always good to see a piece of old iron given a second life. Well done. It does look almost brand new. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
1. Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous; very nice work.
2. Will you be building an extension wing and/or runout table? Would be another excuse to post more pics and show off your fine work...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbk123

You hit on the one thing that the saw falls a little short on, in my opinion. My Delta 10" Contractor's Saw extension wings are 2" each, wider than the ones on this saw. Not sure if I'm going to do anything, just yet. Right now, I'm just starting it up once in a while and hearing it purr.........:icon_smile:

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was more referring to at least the space to the end of the fence rails on the right. A nice little formica-top wing for that remaining distance would be good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that would be nice to extend that area of the surface. I want to maintain the functionality of the portable base, so If I do something like that, it will take some designing on my part. I've found myself going at these projects, with less speed and more patience as I get older.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Very nice!! You did a fine job on the resto!!

So, you gonna tell us what your high bid was?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Like many here my first encounter with a Unisaw was In high school shop, I think it was a 1946. My first job in a cabinet shop also had one. I'll never forget the sound of that saw when you turned it on, music! I love seeing them restored, thank you for your effort to keep them running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts