Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am having a hell of a time getting a matched set of belts for my Delta Unisaw. it requires 3 belts if they aren't matched then one of the three always is longer than the others and it shakes the motor and table harshly upon startup and shutdown doesn't effect it doing any work but I just want it to run smoothly. I have seen many nickel test videos on YouTube where they have their unisaws running so smoothly that two nickels set up on end stay standing still during startup, running, and shutdown I want that after I get my belts changed if that doesn't help does anyone have any suggestions thanks everyone

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they were out of stock for a while I will have to check back. Found a company called polybelt on eBay they sent me some but they didn't match so they are sending me new ones so we will see if that works but I still want suggestions on how to keep the motor from kicking when turned off and on thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow guys thank you so much for the info I think between these last few posts I will fix my problem really quickly thanks

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I had the same problem with my Unisaw. I put it together using three fresh Gates premium belts. You could see one or two flopping around loose, even though they were the same number and all. It would shake especially hard on shut down.

I bought the matched Delta set and the problem went away. When they say 'matched' it means they are cut off the same belt stock and sequentially numbered.

Generally, link belts aren't recommended for the Unisaw's triple belt setup. I have also read that since they are thicker, they can contact the bottom of the table.

Bill

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow...I didn't realize how lucky I am. I replaced mine with 3 Gates power rated belts and it worked flawlessly...Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We'll I just spent $65.00 on some link belts since I can't seem to find three the same size I have two new belts that run together flawlessly and since we heard earlier in the thread that the unisaw could run on one belt if push came to shove I think I will first try running it with the two and see how that goes. If that doesn't work I will try my new power twist v belts suggested from above either way I will find which combination runs it the smoothest and finish this headache. I'm really tired of having this saw torn apart

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Link belts stretch unpredictably, it won't be long until they are different lengths. As the break in each link settles to it's own position. I was told (by them, many years ago when I had a day job) that they really aren't meant for multiple belts drives. But like Cabinetman said, you are just fine on one belt.0

Reactions: cabinetman

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
We'll I just spent $65.00 on some link belts since I can't seem to find three the same size I have two new belts that run together flawlessly and since we heard earlier in the thread that the unisaw could run on one belt if push came to shove I think I will first try running it with the two and see how that goes. If that doesn't work I will try my new power twist v belts suggested from above either way I will find which combination runs it the smoothest and finish this headache. I'm really tired of having this saw torn apart
this issue always confuses me. i put these three unmatched belts on my unisaw ($15 total from grainger) and here's a video of how the saw operated.

BTW, the guys @ sawcenter waved me off link belts. i forgot the reason but it made sense when they mentioned it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I should have mentioned, I also replaced my 3 belts with an unmatched set, and it runs more smoothly than it did with the factory set. The new ones I bought were the cogged belts, they seem to work a little better with the smaller sheaves.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Fred,

The Gates belts I used first (AX24 Tri-Power) were the cogged belts and they flopped (literally - two flopped around). I guess sometimes you get lucky and just happen to get a set that's all the same length by chance. Perhaps If I'd been patient, the shorter belt(s) would have stretched from use and they all would have matched and all tensioned the same. But I was after instant gratification and went after the matched Delta set, which worked for me. In 2011 they were $37 for the set of three (Delta No.49-124). The way Delta has been so bad at providing parts lately, I wonder if they're available now.

Bill

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I equate the Gates brand with quality, but that didn't seem to be the case with your belts. It was explained to me (when i had a job as a reliability manager) by our technical engineers that the new manufacturing technologies do such a good job at precision that the matched thing was a thing of the past. Regardless, I bought the same belts (AX24) but they weren't Gates (can't remember, maybe Goodyear).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We'll I'm glad three unmatched belts worked for you that's great but it's certainly not working here the saw will run just fine and I could work with it but it jumps when I start it and shakes the table upon shutdown I really wish I could by three belts the same size I can't find them. one out of the three I bought was a full 1/2 inch bigger than the rest visually. It literally flops around I will probably try the links but ultimately they don't sound like they will work when this guy from polybelts sends me the other three maybe I can find three out of the six total total that will be close enough.

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
go to your local auto parts store or TSC

:blink:
Take all your belts.
They have a belt measuring gizmo that will tell you right off if the belts are within the same specs. Take the 3 that are closest to the same length and try those.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I also read all the speculation about link belts not being "meant" for 3 belt Unisaws however I couldn't find a good reason based on somebody actually using them. I did however find numerous people using them on Unisaws with no issues other than possibly hitting the underside of the table which mine will do if cranked all the way up (that is not an issue for me since I have never needed to crank it that high). In any case I tried 1 belt and it does work just fine as cabinetman says however I'll leave all 3 on since they have worked flawlessly and I no longer have the clunk on start up nor the shimmy on shutdown.

edit.. I just found the quote from John White formerly of Fine WoodWorking Magazine that led me to try these belts....

"There are a lot of myths and misinformation going around about link belts. The belts made by Fenner, the red ones sold by many suppliers, work very well in all applications including multiple sheaves. They are meant for long term use and will last as long, and probably longer, than conventional belts. They would be my first choice for replacing the belts in a Unisaw.

John White
John White Shop Manager for FWW Magazine, 1998 to 2007"

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I changed the belts on my Unisaw last year. I got them off eBay for about $25 plus $3 shipping. Haven't had a problem with them. Make sure the belts are matched to your motor speed. Mine runs at 3450 rpm but some older Unisaws have 1725 rpm motors. I checked to see who I got them from and found that he still is selling sets for around the same price in both motor speeds. Here's a link :http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Unisa...276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a37032bc
I was happy with his service.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts