Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That saw looks like the one I have.

I paid $400 for mine.

The rust on the top of that one is going to need a lot more work than simply buffing. :)

For that price I think that saw is definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've learned that if it is too good a deal, somebody else is already snapped it up. But I replied to the ad with my interest. So we will see.

Meantime I'm wondering if anyone can tell what model that saw is, HP of the motor, fence quality?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've learned that if it is too good a deal, somebody else is already snapped it up. But I replied to the ad with my interest. So we will see.

Meantime I'm wondering if anyone can tell what model that saw is, HP of the motor, fence quality?
The saw could be from the late 40's. The motor could have been changed, but this plate is from that era.
Product Label

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Take the day off from work and go get the saw. At $65 it is doubtful that you can go wrong. With a little elbow grease you probably could sell the saw for $100.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Chuck, the switch is worth more than $65.

That looks like one of the old repulsion induction motors. Lots of torque and seriously heavy. They're single phase but not capacitor start. I think they work by way of some kind of magic electrons.:icon_smile: Actually they have brushes that are used for starting,

That saw has the cast iron plinth (base) which they used through to the '70's. I can't remember how long they used the RI motors but it was at least through the '50's. If you could get the serial number, you could figure out the vintage here: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

My guess is that at $65, that saw is long gone. <<With a little elbow grease you probably could sell the saw for $100. >> I would guess more like $400-$500 if you make it pretty.

Bill

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I have been working on a 1953 craftsman, get it getting it up to speed. But I've heard that the Unisaw is a good table saw as well. What are your thoughts about this saw?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/tls/3927759498.html

Thanks,

Chuck Barnett
$65 is a good deal in my opinion.
It is still on Craigslist, but I've had no answer to my, now, three emails. Could be he's busy... Who knows. I'm all over it if he calls me. :)

Thanks, guys
I hate when that happens. Hopefully they get back to you or they remove the ad because its sold. Nothing like just leaving it out there for no reason.

looks like the original single phase motor. probably 1 or 1 1/2 hp. more then enough.
It lookslike the one my wife grandfather passed down to his son,her uncle. The motor was that size but only considered a 3/4 hp. I always said they must have had bigger horses back then. I think his was from the late 30's if that's possible.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
It is still on Craigslist, but I've had no answer to my, now, three emails. Could be he's busy... Who knows. I'm all over it if he calls me. :)

Thanks, guys
The other option is that perhaps the listing is a scam :eek:. Keep us posted though, because I'd really rather this posting be real and someone from this forum get a killer deal on a big bad saw!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If you don't hear from the seller soon flag the add to remove it.

At that price chances are you're not the only one waiting on pins and needles for a call back.

Oft times sellers complete their sale and are too lazy and inconsiderate to remove their ads or return calls.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts