Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these used. It came with one 1/4" chisel that seemed sharp, but I'm starting to wonder. I have never used one of these table top ones, only a big floor model, in HS wood shop. How hard is it supposed to be to drive the chisel in, and get it back out? At the very least, it's just as hard both ways, and there is no way you're getting it out without letting it suck up to the hold down. I can't just hold and retract the bit, and just for laughs, I put 2 fingers between the work and the hold down, and tried to retract it. I couldn't, it was to much for the fingers. I tried it on oak, pine, walnut & cherry.

Is that normal?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
All normal. Make sure the bit is protruding from the chisel by about 1/16-1/8 inch. It takes some force to get the chisel through.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I agree it can be a bit tight. I don't know how deep you are going in on the first pass. I find it easier to "nibble" at it. Practice with it and it will be smoother if you go in say 3/8 inch. Move it side to side for your mortise width then go back in deeper passes

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I have a Delta as well and it can be somewhat tough but shouldn't be too hard. As others have mentioned try and take about half the depth at first go. It is important to have the bit lower than the chisel as someone else said.
I bought one of these jobbers at Rockler and I chuck it up in my cordless, works very well at keeping the chisels sharp.

http://www.rockler.com/3-piece-mortise-chisel-sharpening-set

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sharpness is the key that piece from rockler really is great then if you check out the woodwhisper.com and check out Marc's video Mortiser? I hardly know her. He goes thru the steps to get your mortise chisels really sharp I learn a lot from his educational videos he has over 200 of them

·
where's my table saw?
28,153 Posts
Get the chisel honed and shiny

Polish the sides of the chisel so they are shiny, then a little wax should help on the withdrawl. It should aslo be checked for vertical in both planes, fore and aft and right to left. Sharp is good as well. Look at the bit to see if it got buggered up.
I was surprised to find how much force it took to get the first hole punched in. Then, I overlap succeeding hole and it's way easier. You are chiseling just as much as drilling, keep that in mind. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts