Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old delta contractor table. I recently tried to make some cabinet doors, when I noticed how off my cuts were. I found my blade was not square to the miter slots. I purchased one of those PALS kits and am able to get my blade square with the miter slot (checking with a dial indicator and homemade jig). After I retighten the bolts, I recheck the numbers. So far so good. After I made two or three cuts, I recheck the numbers, and the blade is out of square again. I have been messing with this thing for hours, can't figure it out. I appreciate any help I could get. Thanks.

·
7,222 Posts
A sequence of steps.
a) Square the blade to the mitre slot
b) Square the fence to the mitre slot

You do not state if you checked the fence after you corrected the table alignment.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Once the mechanism is bolted to the table top the alignment shouldn't change. Are the bolts loosening up with vibration?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check that next. Another problem I am having is with blade wobble. I have a new Irwin blade installed. When I place my dial indicator against the blade and spin it by hand the needle travels from the zero to .02 of an inch. From what I have read .003 is acceptable. Is there a way to check if the problem is with the arbor or maybe just the bearing.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I will check that next. Another problem I am having is with blade wobble. I have a new Irwin blade installed. When I place my dial indicator against the blade and spin it by hand the needle travels from the zero to .02 of an inch. From what I have read .003 is acceptable. Is there a way to check if the problem is with the arbor or maybe just the bearing.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html

review the "start at the blade" section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts