Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tuned her up after 3 years in storage and cannot get the blade all the down into the throat is stays about an 1/16 inch proud. Can anyone tell me where the adjustment screw is for this ? And thankyou

·
Registered
26,970 Posts
It many not be a screw adjustment but dirt or rust in the mechanism preventing it from going down to the stop. You might turn the saw upside down and look at it when you crank the handle. Sometimes sawdust gets so impacted you have to use a scratch awl to break it loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It many not be a screw adjustment but dirt or rust in the mechanism preventing it from going down to the stop. You might turn the saw upside down and look at it when you crank the handle. Sometimes sawdust gets so impacted you have to use a scratch awl to break it loose.
She is heavy like 300lbs plus

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
EXACTLY!

She is heavy like 300lbs plus
Just lay it on it's back side. No need to turn it "upside down" I've done this many times and it's so much easier to tip it back upright.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have to do this from time to time. I usually put a blower nozzle on my compressor hose and, with the saw unplugged and the saw blade removed, put it down through the ZCI hole and blow out everything by feel. i can usually get enough of the debris out to get the job done without having to tip the saw. If your saw is a contractor style, you can probably reach most of what needs to be blown out through the big opening on the back where the motor is.

·
Smart and Cool
2,233 Posts
The 34-457 is a cabinet saw(Unisaw).

You should be able to see in from the motor cover side, follow the raise/lower rod and see if something is obstructing the travel.

Is this a blade that was on the saw before and would go below the throat plate?

What activities constituted "tuned her up"?

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
Before we spend the OP's money let's see that fence! If it looks like this, it's good one:

This one is not too bad;

This one fits a Unisaw:

If it looks like this, it's not so good:

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
Even better,,,,,,,,,,,,, just answer his question, before introducing another topic into his thread.
My post number 4 covered his question, or don't you think so?

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
In spite of having fairly good dust collection system, I find that dust and gunk builds up on the bevel gears in the tilt mechanism and they get jammed up. The segmented gear on the elevation system is almost as bad, but it get used way more often. I end up taking off the bottom cover/collection plate and crawling underneath my enclosed cabinet and I pick the gunk out of the teeth with a small screw driver. I do not use any lubricant on the teeth, just on the rotating bearing surfaces. Vacuuming will just not do the job by itself in my experience. The bevel system has set screw stops for 90 and 45 degrees in the miter slots, the elevation system has none.

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
In spite of having fairly good dust collection system, I find that dust and gunk builds up on the bevel gears in the tilt mechanism and they get jammed up. The segmented gear on the elevation system is almost as bad, but it get used way more often. I end up taking off the bottom cover/collection plate and crawling underneath my enclosed cabinet and I pick the gunk out of the teeth with a small screw driver. I do not use any lubricant on the teeth, just on the rotating bearing surfaces. Vacuuming will just not do the job by itself in my experience. The bevel system has set screw stops for 90 and 45 degrees in the miter slots, the elevation system has none.
You missed that? Apparently.

I have not seen anyone tell him the location of said screw. They only offered alternate solutions.

Reactions: TobyC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 34-457 is a cabinet saw(Unisaw).

You should be able to see in from the motor cover side, follow the raise/lower rod and see if something is obstructing the travel.

Is this a blade that was on the saw before and would go below the throat plate?

What activities constituted "tuned her up"?
The saw was taken apart to store The motor removed and side cabinet removed and the table top was removed . So this involved reassembly and realigning or truing , and it is a Unisaw, 3hp and triple belts CIRCA 1980s

·
Registered
604 Posts
You missed that? Apparently.
Really????

My post prompting you to answer his question was post #9.

Your post answering the original question was post # 12. (edited after the fact)

How can anyone "miss" something that had not even been said yet?

·
Smart and Cool
2,233 Posts
The saw was taken apart to store The motor removed and side cabinet removed and the table top was removed . So this involved reassembly and realigning or truing , and it is a Unisaw, 3hp and triple belts CIRCA 1980s
With the top off that was the ideal time to check/clean the assemblies(hindsight).

I would take a good look at the raise lower assembly, and also the routing of the cord on the motor. There really isn't much to get in the way here.

It doesn't appear this machine has tilt stops in the miter slots, most Unisaws of this vintage have stop screws on the carriage assembly.

Was this a blade that you used before and did actually sit below the throat plate?

Also, is the throat plate flush with the top?

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
Really????

My post prompting you to answer his question was post #9.

Your post answering the original question was post # 12. (edited after the fact)

How can anyone "miss" something that had not even been said yet?

View attachment 427184
Calm down Dave! You don't know what was "editied" in my post and I can't remember either, BUT most likely it was a typo. So, just back off a little bit and stop trashing my posts. Thank You.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
OP i have the exact same saw. i would recommend that you start by removing the power and blade, and watch underneath while someone is cranking it up and down. hopefully it will become apparent what the issue is. try blowing compressed air in and about the area you suspect, wearing goggles!

if that doesn't catch it, repost and i will look inside and see what i can find for you. you could also take the top back off and see what you can there...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts