Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electricity Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable Gas

I bought a Delta shaper used, sight unseen. I was assured it was in working condition. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the black spring-loaded mechanism indicated by the yellow arrows in my picture? Upon first plugging the unit into power and hitting the green On switch I only got a strong buzzing sound from the switch. So I took the cover off and noticed the spring loaded black button (see yellow arrows). When I pushed it in the machine came to life and purred like a kitten. I was relieved. However, under the current conditions I can only turn the motor on by pressing the black button (yellow arrows) and I turn it off by using the red Off switch.
I noticed the word TEST is inscribed on the switch. Nearby is a small window with a red dot. It all reminds me of a GFIC reset switch. So I'm curious... Is there some sort of reset required. Anyone familiar with this problem? Thanks in advance.
Chad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll head to the barn and grab an image to attach shortly. However, I wondered about that as well. Based on the Wiring Directions sticker on the inside of the switch cover it appears to follow 1 PH wiring process.

I should add but since drafting my original post I noticed that if I hold the test switch all the way to the right and depress the yellow arrowed button it stays in and the motor runs just fine. Once I press the red stop button the black button pops back out and will not stay depressed unless I activate the test switch again. This discovery leads me to believe that the black button would normally be depressed by activating the green on button.

Font Material property Rectangle Commemorative plaque Number

·
Registered
Retired engineer
445 Posts
It's pretty common to see mag starters meant for 3 phase used on single phase motors. Your motor is single phase, for sure. The wiring on the starter doesn't look right, though. I suggest you find an electrician to take a look at it. Mag starters are great, but miswired or adjusted wrong they are not well behaved. The motor says 13.1A, but the overload relay looks like it's set to 10A

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
432 Posts
the motor is 11.8 amps at 230 volts. this based the the two pictures for the motor. one part shows 13.1 amps at 208 volts.
he said the motor will stay running when pushing in the starter by hand. the should mean the the latch circuit is working.
the stop button is always closed (see below) start is in paralel with 13 and 14 on the starter right side normal open.

Gas Font Temperature Machine Transparency
the diagram shows it is a latching starter.
if you push start button it also should pull the contacter in that is a big IF.
if the start button pushed and held in hard it should pull in the coil. if not the wiring to the button or button is a problem.

the picture with yellow arrows are pointing to contact holder and is not a buttons
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

most motor starters the test red or blue based on brand prove the safety overload is working electrically.
it opens contacts 95 & 96 the starter should pop out so it is the stop / off state.
I hope this is some help......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts