Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a kind soul who owns a Delta Saw with a model# 62-044 motor.

I purchased a used saw with this motor, and found that it had one of the capacitors blown. I used the capacitor model # to order a replacement, and it worked for several minutes until it went "pop" and blew the new capacitor. Upon investigation, I find that the motor has 2 capacitors and they are both "Start" capacitors with different ratings and voltage specs. In another, earlier post about this motor, I read that one of the capacitors is supposed to be a "Run" capacitor, so I suspect that someone may have replaced one of mine with an incorrect type.

Since I have searched and had no luck finding info on this motor, I must try another way.

I am posting this note, hoping to find someone that has this motor who would remove the two capacitor covers (2 screws each), and advise me as to the model # of each, so I can attempt to install the correct capacitors and hopefully get on my way to happy (worry free) sawing.

Many thanks to anyone able to help and inclined to do so!

·
CharleyL
306 Posts
If no one responds with the needed information, an electric motor repair shop should be able to help. They usually have the capacitors in stock and can get it running for you.

Charley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CharleyL!
I did call and speak with one place in town, and they said I could bring it in and it would be $65 to assess, and possibly $200-250 to repair. Of course this was before I figured out it may be a capacitor issue. If no one can clue me in on what should be there, I will try again to find a local shop that might help more reasonably. Just also trying to avoid as much face to face social contact currently... (sadly)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom-G! Yes, I had already seen that thread and was considering purchasing the capacitor he mentions. However, considering that he didn't have an original to go-by in his replacement and that he didn't say where he got the info to identify the replacement, I thought it wise to see if I could confirm via someone else who has the same motor. Crossing my fingers that someone out there can provide the model #'s of the capacitors on their like motor. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoot Summ,

Thanks so much for the info. Having a hard time reading the run capacitor info, but I think I have enough info to trust one I had previously found on Amazon. Near as I can tell, 50mfd is the important part.

You are truly a kind soul to take the time to do this for me, and I thank you once more!

·
Smart and Cool
1,947 Posts
Shoot Summ,

Thanks so much for the info. Having a hard time reading the run capacitor info, but I think I have enough info to trust one I had previously found on Amazon. Near as I can tell, 50mfd is the important part.

You are truly a kind soul to take the time to do this for me, and I thank you once more!
You are quite welcome, it is a 50MFD 240VAC cap, the EBAY link had the specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. Just piggy back from the post. I was wondering my delta motor rotates the wrong way. How do I change the rotation? I can’t find any info. I’m sure it’s wired wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello. Just piggy back from the post. I was wondering my delta motor rotates the wrong way. How do I change the rotation? I can’t find any info. I’m sure it’s wired wrong.
A quick Google search found this...,

In order to reverse the direction of an AC motor, the magnetic fields must be altered to provoke movement in the opposite direction. Since each wire consists of a positive and negative current within the magnetic fields, the flip-flopping of main and starter wires causes the motor to run in reverse rotation.Mar 23, 2018.

It may depend on if you are running single phase, 3 phase, 120 and or 240v.
Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts