Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a Delta JT 360 jointer at Lowes, mainly because its the only jointer I can find in town. Lowes wants $369.00. I was really hoping to spend a little less like @ $200 for a jointer but Im not having any luck except on ebay but I'm a little nervous about a power tool purchase there. So do you all think the Delta is worth the money? Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am currently using a Delta JT160 6" jointer. Since I do not need it everyday, it lives under the workbench most of the time. Everything in my shop has to fit in a 2 car garage with 2 cars and a motorcycle in it. It gets the job done without taking up any room, you just have to realise that it can't handle anything long or wide. If I had the space, I would definitely go with something with longer tables and a better fence. The fence on it is a little weak and finicky, but it jointed 2 faces on every rough sawn board of a Brazilian Cherry hall table with no complaints. Hand planing the 16" wide top is going to require lots of complaining.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
A jointer is a great addition to a shop. Delta makes a couple of 6" floor jointers. The JT360 is their entry level. It wouldn't be my first choice in that price range compared to a Grizzly, Ridgid, Jet, or Craftsman, but it is a functional tool that's capable of the task. The reasons it wouldn't be my first choice are the 3/4hp motor vs 1hp, open stand vs closed, and a weaker fence support mechanism...all of those characteristics are a "less than" features in relative terms (IMHO), but none are show stoppers that make the machine incapable of performing.

Being able to buy it locally is a plus, but have you considered mail ordering one of the others or looking for a good used one? Harbor Freight does have a 6" floor jointer that goes for ~ $200...not top shelf, but is capable of the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts