Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker has a jointer for sale for $100 I'm going to see it this weekend.

He said its from the 70s, full size bed unlike the tabletop versions.

What would be some things to look for to avoid?

·
bzguy
581 Posts
IMHO this is a much better piece of machinery than you could buy now brand new.
Jointers aren't really complicated machines, if it functions at all, motor and cutter-head turn, surface wood, even with chipped knives I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
7,222 Posts
A co-worker has a jointer for sale for $100 I'm going to see it this weekend.

He said its from the 70s, full size bed unlike the tabletop versions.

What would be some things to look for to avoid?
Not much to go on. Delta made a lot of jointers.

Things to avoid.

If the bed is rusty, this can easily be fixed, but if the bed is rusty, then look carefully at the head and especially the screws with lock/adjust the height of the knives. If these are rusted you may have a devil of a time getting these out.

As others have said, does it run. Before you turn it on, try and rotate the motor/belt just in case the motor or a bearing has seized. Easier to fix if not scored.

Can both the beds be adjusted to be parallel. Some models can adjust only e.g., infeed bed for parallel. Better if both can be adjusted.

Is the fence square against the bed. Take your OWN square which you know to be good. I have a Delta 39-170 and I did not realise for some time that the bed was square, but I only checked the front and foolishly assumed the back was square. Not the case. I was able to fix, but I had been wondering why my pieces were coming out with a twist.

Any cracks in the beds or fence. Can be welded, but a lot of effort.

What is the voltage? Do you have 120 and 240V available?

What is the feed - single phase. Worth asking, a recent thread had a person who purchased a 1/2HP 3 phase motor. We never did find out if he really needed 3 phase, but the thread was about the motor not starting. Check the nameplate on the motor to confirm size/voltage and no. of phases.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just wondering what size it is. I think they were still making a lot of 4 inch jointers back then. Being a 4 inch would not be bad but it would be worth a little less.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well turns out its an older rockwell, 6" jointer. The bed isn't as long as i'd have hoped, maybe 2 feet at most. Was decently rusty, but not too bad.

Motor spun freely.

It's a #37-600...Personally, I'd rather put the $100 towards a decent ruter table and joint with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts