Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to make sure. I haven't heard many things, good or bad about delta dust collectors. If all goes well I will pick it up at the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
what's the model number? is it a dual voltage unit? what's the micron rating of the filter bags?

if it's a 50-850, they are usually 1.5 hp.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If it's 2 HP, it will be 240V and worth that price (IMHO). But the tightness of the bags will be important. Anything over 1 micron might not be tight enough for you (they wouldn't be for me), and replacement bags (or filter) will be costly.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
FYI, the 50-850 is a dual voltage motor, at least the one that i have is. mine came with a jet 2 micron cartridge filter for $150 from a fellow woodnetter. add a baffle (thien or cone type stand in) to the drum ring and it'll send more of the collected debris to the collection bag as opposed to the filter, helping to maintain suction for a much longer time. here's how i did mine:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FYI, the 50-850 is a dual voltage motor, at least the one that i have is. mine came with a jet 2 micron cartridge filter for $150 from a fellow woodnetter. add a baffle (thien or cone type stand in) to the drum ring and it'll send more of the collected debris to the collection bag as opposed to the filter, helping to maintain suction for a much longer time. here's how i did mine: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189
The one I'm going to look at has cloth bags on the top and bottom. Is that better for filtration? He said the top bag is a 1 micron. And I like the frying pan idea. Very clever.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Generally speaking, filters are better because they have more surface area to use (allows more air flow). Having a filter typically allows the use of a plastic bag on the bottom making the cleaning process a lot easier. Trying to empty one of those cloth bags into a trash bag is a circus.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Keep in mind you can add a filter for under 150, and the thein baffle seems to be working much better in mine than the frying pan did....

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Very similar to my Jet. I would have thought that the SCFM would have been closer to 1100. (Just by looks) I may be wrong, but I didn't think that Delta sold 1 micron bags with their units.

You can get really nice 1 micron bags from Penn State Industries. When I got mine the total cost was about $100. (Clamps included) Maybe 5 years ago.

Blasphemy here . . . .

I put a trash can separator on my dust collector. Nothing fancy but it does the job. If I empty the bottom bag every six months it is a lot. The bottom bag contains little more than wood flour. I don't let the bottom bag fill much more than nine inches. Why, you ask? I'll answer with a question. "How much does a piece of wood, 9" thick and 20" in diameter weigh?" The actual number is not important but that much wood flour weighs almost as much and it is a heck of a lot.

Before we go much further, a cyclone would do a better job of separating chafe from flour. A Thein gizmo would do a better job of separating chafe from flour. Almost any gizmo would do a better job of separating chafe from flour.

The only reason I empty the bottom bag every six months is that if I wait longer, the bag would be too heavy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts