Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Delta 46-455 vs Rikon 70-050VS

The Delta has a 3/4 hp motor, 12.5" swing, 5 speeds adjustable by belt.

The Rikon has a 1/2 hp motor, 12" swing, and 3 speed ranges adjusted by belts and knob.

I can get the Delta new for $400 and the Rikon new for $250. Which should I get? This will be my first lathe so I expect to try a variety of projects from bowls to pens.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Are you sure the model number is right on the Delta? I typed it up in a Google search and looked for it on Amazon. Both places, I came up empty.

·
2,442 Posts
The best I can tell, thats a 46-460 minus VS. If thats the case and you are stuck on these 2 options then I would go with the Delta. The 46-460 gets rave reviews and I'm sure this one does too. Also, that 1/4HP difference is huge. My current lathe is a 1/2hp and being underpowered is my biggest problem with it. It really struggles to spin a 6" bowl blank.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I can tell it is the 46-460 but it has a lower powered motor (3/4 vs 1hp), it does not have the variable speed (it has 5 speeds), and it does not have reverse. The question really comes down to , is the extra $150 for the Delta with 1/4 more hp and 1/2" more swing worth giving up variable speed on the Rikon? Having never turned before, I dont know if the variable speed is important or not.

·
2,442 Posts
I dont have VS and have gotten by. It only takes a few seconds to move the belt. I'd love to have VS though. IMO that extra 1/4HP is worth the difference but honestly, I'd hold off till I could get the 46-460. Remember too that the lathe will be the smallest part of your purchase. Buying tools, chucks and all the other accessories you'll use add up quickly and will be much more than the lathe itself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 46-460 isnt really an option unless a wait a long while. My budget is tight and I need to leave money for tools. I set a limit of $400 for the lathe and think these are my 2 best options at the moment. Actually, i already bought the Delta, it was on sale and it was the last one so I jumped on it. But, I am considering returning it for the $250 Rikon - which is also on sale, the newer model 70-100VS sells for ~$400.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you already have the Delta check the info plate on the motor for amps or watts. I could find no amps listed in any info online. I did find one other model rated 3/4 HP Max and it was 5.2 amp. The Rikon should be 6.6 amp. Manufacturers have a lot of latitude in their rating... see this article.
No matter what the manufacturer says, 6.6 is still about 20% higher than 5.2. It is also only about 20% less than 8 amp which Delta calls 1 HP Max.
http://www.kevinsbrady.net/motors.pdf

It is only about 4 pages long and there is a chart near the end.
The only other major concern to me is the Rikon goes 200 less rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts