Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What can anyone tell me about the lathe? If it hasn't sold I may offer a trade for my combo sander...
Wood Desk Sewing machine Gas Machine tool

Wood Toolroom Gas Engineering Machine

·
Registered
Termite
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got one response from the owner, that they would let me know if the other would take it. I was ready to go get it yesturday, but didn't get a response till late. The price is a bit fishy to me. Either they just want to get rid of it, or they don't know it's worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same machine New to turning wood and have had it for 6 months. I like it paid 700 for mine. Now i have spent almost that amount for new tools and sharpening stuff. AND THE LIST GOES ON.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have an almost identical Rockwell 46-525. It is a tank. As long as the reeves drive was cleaned and oiled, it should last longer than most new ones.. I paid $400 for mine. Separately I picked up a factory duplicator and a Delta outboard tool rest also. The face plate on the outboard side is probably threaded for both left and right threads so it can be used inboard or outboard. I have a person who keeps asking me to make big knitting needles. The though hole in the head stock is 5/8. So I can fit 1/2 inch birch dowels through the head stock and make 20 inch knitting needles.. I can turn a lot of thin items like drum sticks, (I suppose wands) etc. There is also a compound tool holder for a metal lathe that was an option for that lathe. They aren't cheap. The lathe has an indexing function on the pulley under the head stock cover. A year before I got the one I have, a fellow in Alexandria VA advertised one for free if picked up within 48 hours. The owner went into a nursing home and his kids didn't want to pay to move it and needed to clear out the house for a settlement. I would have happily driven the two hours each way. They are beasts. IIRC they weigh 400 pounds. Bearings can be purchased at any bearing shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What about variable speed? Or do you have to change belts?
Also what is the swing over bed and the distance between centers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My machine is 36" CL-CL with a 6" swing over rails with a drop bed so you can turn larger plates.
the speed is controlled by reeves drive system, the only downside to this is that it has to be running to change the speed controlled by the lever in the front.
If you are man enough you can turn up to 84" using the out board drive. GOD FORBID
Bolt it to the floor.TURN the speed down with the machine running at the completion of each project or you will be eventually in search of the plug to turn it off in panic mode, dont ask.
If you plan on turning out of balance chunks of fire wood into lovely bowls this machine may not go slow enough.

·
Registered
847 Posts
What about variable speed? Or do you have to change belts?
Also what is the swing over bed and the distance between centers?
It is 12 x 36 for size, but with the part gap bed you could get a 16-17 inch round piece on the face plate, just not very thick. It has a Reeves drive. A mechanical system to change speed ratios of the internal pulleys, but it must be running to change speeds. The lever on the right to the electrical switch is the speed lever. Pull it outward and then rotate it to dial to a different speed. Again, it must be running to change speeds.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When were these lathes manufactured?
In one farm or another from about the 1950's until the 1980's. Delta sold a lot for school shops and small wood shops. Mine started life with a school district and then spent 20 years in a chair shop, making parts for chairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts