Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 37-280, 6 inch jointer. It does not get up to speed and has no power when the belt is attached. It runs with out the belt on. I changed capacitor and cleaned the relay. the rely seems to be making contact so i dont think it is the relay. Would the motor be toast? I would not think so since the unit has a built in breaker so when over loaded it trips. Anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The capacitor would have been my first guess, so it's good that you already checked that.

According to a manual I found on-line, it appears that the jointer may have a dual voltage motor. So it may be possible that the previous owner re-configured the motor for 240 volts. Are you able to take a picture of the motor's junction box cover and the wiring configuration inside?

The cover should have a wiring diagram for how to reconfigure the motor for each voltage, and we may be able to decipher how it is currently configured by looking at the current wiring arrangement.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
besides Ricks excellent advice - what size capacitor did you install? were you able to double check your wiring (power cord, switch, relay, cap) against a wiring diagram?

was it running fine before this? anything else happen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought used hoping to get running. i replaced the capacitor with the same one as before. the photo is the one that came with the machine. the ID plate on the outside of the machine says it is 120V without saying it is 120/240v. the motor has the wires coming right of a hole from the end of the motor not plate with a couple of screws. so dont think it cane be required. do not have a wiring diagram?

any further comments would help.
820782793730094020.jpg
607651059049188807.jpg
335496663042528603.jpg

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,604 Posts
I have my old lathe motor running on mine..it's kind of slow, but it still works.. I really need to find a faster motor someday..

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
do you have a multimeter, or voltmeter, and are you comfortable using it? there is only so much you can visually inspect on electrical components. have you tried a search for a wiring diagram for your model number? you can visually trace the wires out...

out of curiosity, does the cutterhead rotate freely?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have a multimeter, or voltmeter, and are you comfortable using it? there is only so much you can visually inspect on electrical components. have you tried a search for a wiring diagram for your model number? you can visually trace the wires out...

out of curiosity, does the cutterhead rotate freely?
yes the cutter is free. i need to find a wiring diagram, does not seem anyone has messed with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check the set screw on the pulley. A loose one causes the same symptoms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts