Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delta 34-670 table saw. I am going through drive belts about one per year after only light-moderate use. I've replaced the bushings, and I don't see anything visibly defective in the belt area.

I'm at a loss as to why these belts are wearing down to smooth so quickly. I'm starting to think it might be better to stop investing in belts, and just invest in a better, newer saw?

Please o'wise ones, help, if possible...

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
I think with more tinkering you could fix the problem. More than likely the problem isn't bushing but the two pulleys are not in proper alignment with each other. That would put far more wear on the belt than a problem with the arbor.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I think with more tinkering you could fix the problem. More than likely the problem isn't bushing but the two pulleys are not in proper alignment with each other. That would put far more wear on the belt than a problem with the arbor.
+1 here

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Alignment can generally be done with a good straight edge.

Inspect both pulleys for any bends, warps, cracks or any other deformations. If in doubt replace them with the same size.
The arbor, being fixed will only have a bit of adjustment along the shaft. The motor might have a parallel or axial misalignment & should be easy to resolve.

Good luck & hope this helps.

..Jon..

·
Registered
653 Posts
+1 with what has been said. If you don't have room for a straight edge you could also try a string pulled tightly across the two pulleys, but the straight edge is the best way.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
Alignment can generally be done with a good straight edge.

Inspect both pulleys for any bends, warps, cracks or any other deformations. If in doubt replace them with the same size.
The arbor, being fixed will only have a bit of adjustment along the shaft. The motor might have a parallel or axial misalignment & should be easy to resolve.

Good luck & hope this helps.

..Jon..
I don't think that could have been illustrated any better. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts