Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone. I am new to this group and it's out of necessity that I joined, but I hope to pop in and return the favor someday.

I acquired a Delta 28-300, made in 1973 according to Delta, that was pretty dirty, covered in orange powdery rust due to exposed to a firehouse.

I cleaned it up very well, and I painted it up nicely. Everything seems okay, but I am having a problem with the bandsaw wheels.

My concern is that the face of the upper wheel is set back further by maybe 1/4" to 3/8" from the face of the bottom wheel. I determined this by holding a 4ft level across the face of the bottom wheel. I then adjusted angle of the top wheel, via the upper axel hinge adjustment screw, so that the distance to the level was the same for the top and bottom edge. And there is a gap... (I'll post a pic shortly)

I read several versions of parts schematics for this thing and one version said that for models made before 1974, the wheels didn't have the "Special Washer" installed on the upper wheel. I don't remember seeing one either, when I removed the upper wheel...

Additionally, I didn't take note when disassembling the machine for cleaning as to which side of the wheels faces in vs. out. I noticed that each wheel's hub has one side with 45 degree bevel on it. I place those on the inside, because, based on the schematics it looked like the beveled edge of the wheel hub was not outward facing.

Can anyone help decipher what is going on? Or is this normal?

Level lined up with bottom wheel:

The gap with the top wheel:

The Measurement of the difference:

·
Registered
611 Posts
The bottom wheel is driven by a belt from a pulley on the motor shaft? Can you tell how well that belt is lined up? I wonder if there is supposed to be a thick washer behind each wheel, but now both washers are behind the lower wheel?

Hmm, in the middle photo it looks like the wrong face of the top wheel could be facing out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is pretty far apart. Wonder if it has the 2 washers behind the upper wheel?
EDIT You said it didn't and sure looks like it needs them to me.
The problem is that I don't have any washers for it. It was assembled when I got it... It was known to be working prior to getting showered on with water.

I don't recall taking any washer off the top... And, again, one version of the Delta 28-300 manual stated that models before 1974 didn't have the "special washer part"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bottom wheel is driven by a belt from a pulley on the motor shaft? Can you tell how well that belt is lined up? I wonder if there is supposed to be a thick washer behind each wheel, but now both washers are behind the lower wheel?

Hmm, in the middle photo it looks like the wrong face of the top wheel could be facing out.
Is the proper way that the wheels should be mounted with the beveled hub side in or out?

The photo in a manuals makes it look in, but...maybe I should try flipping both.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would check the top first, see if the hub projects equally on both sides or not. Could explain that offset.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
the first thing i would check is the angle of the bottom wheel. if it is tilted out, it will "look like" the top wheel is not in alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts