Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building out my first shop right now and have been meaning to buy a bandsaw for a while. I came across a CL post today for a 12" Delta for $20. Seems to be in decent condition and I wanted to get your guys opinion on whether it's worth taking a flyer on this thing or if it's just junk.

I was planning on getting a Grizzly 14" but hey, for $20 it's hard to beat I guess. I'm sure I'm losing out on some capabilities with power and resawing.

CL Post: Delta Band Saw - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,211 Posts
For that low of a price, if it works it is worth a try. I forget how tight you are on space? When you get the 14" bandsaw you might keep the little one for small stuff, leave the big saw set up with a wide blade etc.

Fix the tilt adjustment and sell it for $60 lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For that low of a price, if it works it is worth a try. I forget how tight you are on space? When you get the 14" bandsaw you might keep the little one for small stuff, leave the big saw set up with a wide blade etc.

Fix the tilt adjustment and sell it for $60 lol.
I've got two small sheds out back with the following dimensions:

Shed 1
7'8" x 15'4"

Shed 2
7'11" x 11'4"

So neither shed is really that big but I can make it work if I need to move the tablesaw outside for bigger cuts. I'll probably give this a shot and see, even if it's not gonna work it I'll only be out $20 I guess.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Lesson Learned:
You must teach yourself how to evaluate used tools quickly and independently. You are on your own unless you have someone you can ask immediately. Sorry, but it is a fact of life.

If the tool is a good buy, then by the time you get opinions from others, especially from the internet, the tool will be gone. Not everyone is honorable. Someone here might have bought it after seeing your post. Most nasty people who do that don't brag about it. The sad truth is that you will never know.

If the tool is still available after a time, then are you sure you want it? Why did others pass it up?
  • Price too high?
  • Essential parts missing?
    • Example: Table saw without a rip fence.
  • Obvious defect?
  • Latent defect?
  • Too much work to clean up or restore?
  • History says tool is prone to breakage?
  • Manufacturer went down the toilet where old models are good and newer ones are not?
  • Necessary parts for repair are not available?
    • A tool may be almost ready to run and needs only one small simple part, but if you can't get that part, it doesn't matter.
  • Accessories are no longer available?
    • Example: Lathe headstock has unusual thread pitch, so faceplates or chucks cannot be found for it.
  • Parts that tend to break have been snapped up by owners over the years and can't be found any longer?
  • Power requirements (e.g., tool requires three-phase 220 volt)?
  • Etc.

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,211 Posts
Off center meaning the blade itself is closer to one edge of the slot than the other, not sure if that's by design or not.
The slot being the insert where the blade goes through the table? I don't think that's an issue. Assuming the top and bottom wheels are in plane with each other (not always true) the biggies to check are the top and bottom guide bearings, blade tension, and tracking (where the blade is front to back on the wheels).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.