Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
In light of my need to make curved cuts I came across a delta 14” bandsaw on craigslist. It is in need of some work. The table is rusty and the post says it needs new trunnions. and it appears to have been stored outside. given those facts would it be worth to drop 100 and elbow grease into it? How do delta bandsaws stack up? Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with Paarker. I would pass on this. It sounds like it needs more than elbow grease. Rusty table is one thing, but why does it need new trunnions? This and being kept outside mean this poor tool was neglected at best and more likely abused.

Most table saws hold up well if maintained and not abused.

I am not sure what the Delta parts situation is, but they may still not be taking orders for spares.

If you insist on proceeding, I would ensure you can get the trunnion spare part before plonking down any money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really depends on what it is exactly.. if it has an original cast iron base, retirement light and motor, those are worth $100 alone even if not in perfect condition ;) Trunnions are $8/piece online.. and figure on another $50 or so for new bearings and tires. You really need to go scope it out to determine if it's worth it or not, and you could probably get the price down when there in person if it looks salvageable. I paid $85 for mine (a 1950 model) in rough shape and with a non-functioning motor. Put about $100 into it and now I have a rock solid machine that is significantly more robust than new models at a fraction of the cost. I know some people don't like doing the mechanicals, but I found it very enjoyable and I learned a LOT about the machine in the process :smile:

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where did you come up with that Delta model # ? Most Delta #'s are
28-200 etc. I paid $75.00 for mine in good shape so I think you should look further.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Since you are from the East Bay I'm guessing you saw the same one I saw below and if so that is a 28-206 not "306" as shown.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4041776875.html

The trunnions on these saws are prone to breakage however they are cheap and rust just takes a bit of elbow grease to clean so if all else works properly it is easily worth $100.00 IMO (the fence alone costs more than the asking price and if you don't get this saw I just may come up and get it myself!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where did you come up with that Delta model # ? Most Delta #'s are 28-200 etc.
;)

I guess you are referring to my "a 1950 model" comment? I meant that it was a Delta 14" saw from circa 1950 (Built May 1950 to be exact), not a model number! Sorry for any confusion :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Brad

PS: Marv.. it may well be a 306.. that would be the wood/metal cutting version. Sure looks like it's worth $100 though, regardless of type!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marv, That's the one. Now I'm not so sure. Other BS I see run in the 400-700 range. I'll see if I can get the wife to sign off on it. If I can show it's a great deal then it shouldn't be to hard.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A follow up. What would be a deal breaker? THe first obvious thing is the motor not running. Anything else I should keep an eye for?

·
Registered
914 Posts
;)

I guess you are referring to my "a 1950 model" comment? I meant that it was a Delta 14" saw from circa 1950 (Built May 1950 to be exact), not a model number! Sorry for any confusion :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Brad

PS: Marv.. it may well be a 306.. that would be the wood/metal cutting version. Sure looks like it's worth $100 though, regardless of type!
It would be an even better deal if it were a 306 Brad :smile: however that particular enclosed stand is exclusive to a 206 contrary to what many pics online show (the 306 has the more common Delta enclosed stand with the full height doors as well as square edges around the top)

A follow up. What would be a deal breaker? THe first obvious thing is the motor not running. Anything else I should keep an eye for?
Deal breakers for me would be a bad motor as you mentioned, a bent frame, bent/damaged wheel, bent/cracked table or any other severely damaged major part. If anything else is damaged I would definitely check on parts availability as Dave mentioned since Delta has had problems in that area recently (there are better quality aftermarket trunnions available so you don't have to rely on Delta for those).

·
Registered
679 Posts
After seeing the photo I would go for it for $100. The motor problem could be as simple as a bad cord, plug or switch. With the motor not running try to negotiate a lower price.

·
7,222 Posts
I happened to see the same Delta bandsaw on my local Craigs List today, but a mere $800. Not worth linking since the price is ridiculous.

I just thought about your post and how inexpensive your CL ad is by comparison. This one is in almost new condition, but still far too much money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1949 Dlta BS (I don't recall the model number) that I bought at auction for $35.00, needing tires. Also missing the belt cover. Mine is cast iron and doesn't look much like the one pictured.

With the fence, I would go the $100.00

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This isn't a band saw it is a scroll saw. I haven't heard back from the guy, so I'm guessing he has sold it.

You may want to start a new thread asking about older band saws. From what I've gathered they seem to be decent machines.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mistake. I replied on my phone and thought this was the scroll saw thread I started. The guy sold the band saw before I had a chance to take a look. I just haven't had good luck on CL lately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts