Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just wondering what people have and what set up you feel works better. I've been cutting mortises with my router freehand and am considering a table with fence, then I thought would a dedicated mortiser be better. Help me out of the hole please!

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Silver Fox w1671

I have one of these and find the longer I have it the easier it is to plan projects around. Almost everybody has a tool they don't like using. My nemesis is the router. I use the router but I prefer the SF.

TonyM

·
where's my table saw?
29,628 Posts
I don't use the router table

I do have other methods, a bench top mortiser and a self centering router jig. I used both on rather large projects and I prefer the hand held router and jig in these photos: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/woodnthings-7194/albums/mission-quilt-rack/

and the bench top here:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/mission-headboard-build-37911/

The router removes a large amount of wood rapidly, but it take a bit of setting up for the lengths. The bench top can just mortise to marked line, which is easier.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't think they're a replacement for each other. Mortiser makes much easier work of deep structural mortises......router with a jig or table makes much easier work of longer mortises.

However.....if I had to choose just one....i'd take my mortiser

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The right wing of my table saw has a router mounted under it. This is a convenient arrangement because I can just use the saw fence with it. I'll make long shallow mortises with it using a straight cutter.

For deeper mortises, I have an old drill press that is permanently converted to a hollow chisel mortiser. For larger mortises I use the big drill press with an appropriately sized fortsner bit and then clean it up with chisels.

I cut the tenons in a variety of ways but for any quantity I've got a special sled for one of my table saws which utilizes two dedicated 8" saw blades with various pre-cut spacers between them. It will quickly cut perfect width tenons and is easy to set back up for picking up ones that you may have missed or need to re-do.

Bret

·
Registered
29 Posts
The hollow chisel mortiser is going to cut perfectly sized mortises every time. The router won't. If you get set up with a way to cut perfect tenons right off the tool the combination makes things really fast. I used a table top mortiser for a few years and then bought a Woodtek floor mortiser with a sliding table. That was a big jump up in speed and accuracy. The Powermatic floor mortiser is garbage, stay away from that one.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
This is my flavor of the day. I like cutting loose tenons by cutting mortises on both pieces. Built 6 dining chairs and two bar stools using this method.

Nails only hold themselves.

Wood Product Plywood Hardwood Cutting board

These cuts are made lightning fast and can be easily dialed in to fractions of an inch.

Product Wood Table Furniture Architecture

All these different mortises were made with the machine and the cuts come out perfect.

Al

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
29,628 Posts
looks OK to me

I have the bench top Powermatic 701 and it got the best rating for it's class.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a Woodrat for cutting the mortises for floating tenons and it also makes short work of integral tenons when I use them. And a Steel City benchtop mortiser when I want square edged mortises. So for me, no single tool does it all, but I could be personally happy to use nothing but floating tenons.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
bladeburner said:
I have a Woodrat for cutting the mortises for floating tenons and it also makes short work of integral tenons when I use them. And a Steel City benchtop mortiser when I want square edged mortises. So for me, no single tool does it all, but I could be personally happy to use nothing but floating tenons.
I like the floating tenons too. But they double the glue up time.

Al

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting statement...care to expand on it?
All of the parts are pretty flimsy on the Powermatic. I've seen the cast iron table break where the material clamp is bolted on it. Having worked on the PM and the Woodtek both, I think that the Woodtek is beefier in all respects than the PM. The price was similar when I bought mine. The one caution with the Woodtek is that when I went to pick up a machine I checked the milled cast iron table to see if the integral fence was square to the table. It wasn't on the first one I checked. It was perfect on the one I bought. If the fence isn't square, neither are your mortises. I've been using this machine in a full time wood shop for 16 years without a problem. Love it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, this is all great stuff fellas!:thumbsup: But I've got a my Bench Dog pro top router table at will call to pick up tomorrow. I think it will serve my purposes for the time being. BTW Al your set up is really unique, did you design it yourself or are there plans for that some where?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Jeff Shafer said:
Wow, this is all great stuff fellas!:thumbsup: But I've got a my Bench Dog pro top router table at will call to pick up tomorrow. I think it will serve my purposes for the time being. BTW Al your set up is really unique, did you design it yourself or are there plans for that some where?
Thanks for the kind words. There are hundreds of plans on the net like this one. I bought a plan but tabled it and designed it myself. I used the concept from the plan. My bearings and rails are better than most. The router assembly is all my idea.

Bench Dog is a great idea for a router table.

Al

1 - 15 of 15 Posts