Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to reproduce a decks rail
2x4 top and bottom rails routed down the center to fit 1 inch square spindles with spacers in between how do i recreate this

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Let's try to keep this conversation in one thread ok?

Quote: " i would like to reproduce a decks rail 2x4 top and bottom rails routed down the center to fit 1 inch square spindles with spacers in between how do i recreate this"

Quote: " how do i cut the holes for decks spindles into a 2x4"

Quote: " 2x4 rails 2x2 posts and a 1x2 strip"

I understand what your trying to do and I believe the video link I posted was a good illustration of how to do it.

Whether or not that method is practical for you depends on your skill set and what tools are available to you.

So let's reset this conversation.

What tools are available to you?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
A table mounted router would be the best method.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Honestly, this might be one of those things one might pay someone else to do.

It'd be a quick job for someone with tools and experience.

Because you just need two short pieces it wouldn't cost you much at all.

Heck, of you lived in my town I'd do it for the cost of materials.

Good luck

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
typically when a bottom rail has a groove in it there is a small profile capping that fits in the groove. this can be fitted in the under side of the top rail too.

It serves 2 purposes. Locks the rails in place and it fills the groove and sheds water so it does not fill up and rot

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
set your saw to desired depth. use a guide and rip each side of the trench. Take a few more rips between your outside edges of the grove.

Using a chisel you can quickly remove the bulk just by twisting it between the pieces and they should 'snap out'

set up your router with a guide and do a final run set to desired depth

·
Registered
353 Posts
Why would you need notches in the 1 x 2. It's just used for spacers between the 2x2 balusters. On the job site you can clamp/screw a guide bar to the base of your circular saw. This guide bar can be made from a scrap piece of pine wood. Once the guide is set to the correct dimension and depth you cut down the length of the 2x4 on both sides. Remove the guide and then make several passes down the middle of the cuts to remove the center portion of the wood. A wood chisel will take care of the rest of it and final clean out. Now it's just a matter of cutting the one 1x2 to the correct length to act as spacers. see drawing below. (Please excuse how bad it is.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts