Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I can see how the second one would be more comfortable, but I really liked the first one. If people thought it was uncomfortable, then just have to suck it up in exchange for the beauty. Sometimes, function must follow form!

·
where's my table saw?
31,266 Posts
I can see how the second one would be more comfortable, but I really liked the first one. If people thought it was uncomfortable, then just have to suck it up in exchange for the beauty. Sometimes, function must follow form!
I agree number one is striking with it's sweeping curves.
I think making all the laminations is just a tremendous amount of work and to redo the arm form and make new was probably not in the cards.
In version number two, I think I see where the same form could be used to make both the arms and the front legs .... if that isn't already the case?
If I were going to redo the first one, I would greatly decrease the radius bend at the front making it much tighter to allow a longer arm support.
But I understand why he chose not to do that, just too much work.

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
I too prefer the looks of the second one. Why is the second one less comfortable. Comfort would over ride beauty if much difference. Of course if these are for guests then it depends upon how long you want them to stay.

George

·
Registered
574 Posts
I prefer the second design. As Woodthings mentions, I would think the same template arc accommodates all the seat, backrest, arm and front leg boards.... don't have to make/have separate templates.

Good job!

Sonny

·
Registered
850 Posts
I like the second one because you have some place to put your drink.
Is the cross piece between the rear legs temporary? If permanent, eliminate it if you can. If you can't, move it up some (maybe use a dowel or 1" square); IMHO.
Your craftsmanship is second to none.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree number one is striking with it's sweeping curves.
I think making all the laminations is just a tremendous amount of work and to redo the arm form and make new was probably not in the cards.
In version number two, I think I see where the same form could be used to make both the arms and the front legs .... if that isn't already the case?
If I were going to redo the first one, I would greatly decrease the radius bend at the front making it much tighter to allow a longer arm support.
But I understand why he chose not to do that, just too much work.
You’re right I used the seat & back slat form for the arm, but it didn’t work out for legs. I tried a portion of the original but didn’t work out. So I made a new form, no big deal really.

It was function over form, the Fortune chair was not confortable for either of us. Sloping arms felt weird, and the chair ws not easy to get out of us seasoned folks (we’re both over 65). Its personal taste but I think my mods have improved both form and function.

Anyway, after all that, I’m making one more, the amount of resawing and laminations is just too much work. It takes over a week just to get one chair parts laminated. They‘ll be hanging in the rafters if my “retirement” shop gets off the ground, I can pump them pretty quick - that is, if someone wants to spend $3-500 for a deck chair 😳

Then there will be 2 of the ”new and improved” Adirondacks Tom Laughlin designed.

By then it will be too hot to sit on the porch 🥴🥴

1 - 9 of 9 Posts