Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello woodknuts. I'm in the process of gathering information to purchase a jointer. My budget is from $350 to $600. I'll buy new or used if in good condition. I've looked at Jet, Delta, Grizzley, Rigid and General. I've read as many reviews as I've found. All have pro's and con's but I'm asking you to weigh in on what you think a smart decision would be given my budget. I plan to use this jointer for everything I can i.e. tables, frames, cabinets, panels etc. I need atleast a 6" jointer. Help wudsplittr out eh?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've got a grizzly and love it. I do not use it very much though. One thing that I've heard is you want a spiral cutterhead. There are alot of plus's like not having to set the blades and with the spiral cuterheads if you chip one of the little blades you can just rotate it and have a new sharp edge.

I wish I had one myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at this type of head. Are the inserts expensive? And are there different inserts that you can buy such as HSS? again thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just got my Grizzly catalog down and thumbed through it and the inserts are $25.00 for 10, which actually gets you 40 cutting edges.

They are carbide also.

After looking a little closer your not going to get one of those in the price range you provided above. Your going to have to spend at least $850.00 then add shipping unless your close enough to go pick one up.

Sorry if I tempted you with something out of your price range. I honestly didn't realize they were that much until now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got the 6" Rigid--I like it. It's $400, but buy a 20% off coupon on ebay for a couple bucks and you can pick up the joiner for $320.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ill second that 8 inch jointer statement. If your anything more than a hobbyist the 8 inch is a necessity. Those of us who do serious woodworking find the jointer to be an invaluable tool in the shop. Many people who do not understand the workings of a jointer, or its set up and adjustments shy away from it. More than once ive helped people set up, adjust and use theirs. Its easily one of the best/versatile tools in the shop,,,,,,,,,,,bedway

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
General has always been made in Canada, although I wouldn't be suprised if they had to succumb to the pressures of cheap labor and are no longer.

As far as them all being made by a "parent" company though, yes in a sense they are. The name of that company is China.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
wudspiltter have you made a decision? WWJ has a little info on the Griz 8"er.
IMHO WWJ is notoriously biased toward their advertisers but their has been some standout exceptions to this such as their 10" combo blade reviews in the August 2006 issue. Anyway here's a link to the Griz 8" if nothing else it has a good pic of the spiral cutterhead.

WWJ Grizzly 8" Spiralhead Jointer

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 6" jointer and it does pretty much what I need it to but an 8" would be better, but then again so would a 12" jointer.

I have a 15" planer with a spiral carbide cutter head and it works great so I assuem the scaled down cutters for the smaller jointers work just as well.

I guess a lot depends on what type of stuff youre building. Personaly I dont care to use a jointer to make a board perfectly flat so my primary purpose is to join the edge, thus bigger is rarely needed. I use my planer with a couple of sacrificial boards attached to ensure I get a "flat" board.

Considering your budget I dont see how you could swing the 8" anyway. If you got with a 6" I would get the cabinet style so you have a way of colleting the chips, unless of course you dont mind sweeping up after each time you use it on a project.

I know lots of folks may tell you to go big but thats easier said than done with your budget.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jointer

Sorry to disagree with some of you, but, I just got a Steel City Tool Works 6" wedge bed jointer. 68" bed length, runs smoothly, easy setup, and it sells for only $699.

Dave

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm in the same boat. If I could find the old grey Ridgid I'd snap that up.
I had one of those little P.O.S.Delta bench tops....gave it away to a friend of mine who doesn't seem to talk to me anymore.:laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a Jet 6" jointer short bed (about 40") for $395 from Rockler. Rockler usally has 10% discounts. I use my jointer daily on very hard woods (e.g. hard maple, bubinga, wenge, etc..) Blades holding up good but i never cut more than 1/32 inch at a time... I think shallow is best for many reasons... Jet has very good and prompt support usally at no cost and use Fedex for replacements... Rigid always gives me the run around..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello woodknuts. I'm in the process of gathering information to purchase a jointer. My budget is from $350 to $600. I'll buy new or used if in good condition. I've looked at Jet, Delta, Grizzley, Rigid and General. I've read as many reviews as I've found. All have pro's and con's but I'm asking you to weigh in on what you think a smart decision would be given my budget. I plan to use this jointer for everything I can i.e. tables, frames, cabinets, panels etc. I need atleast a 6" jointer. Help wudsplittr out eh?

Check out some used machinery. ALOT of people think they "Need" a jointer and end up not using it at all or as ^^^^ they said, upgrading to a larger model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use my Jet 6" jointer for everything: tables, frames, cabinets, desks, etc. I use on woods with Janka (hardness) from 600 to 2500 (oak is 1250, fir is 640, pine is 480). So far the blades are still sharp.

I would prefer a slightly longer bed, however I would consider more than 6" width a disadvantage because I do not use it as a planner. 90% of the wood I use has between ½ to 1” edge. I also do 2” edges and 4” posts and I have no problem. I think my success is primarily because I never shave more that 1/32 inch at a pass.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anything less than a 6" cabinet style is a waste of money. The most important feature on a jointer other than the knives is the length of the beds Get the biggest unit you can afford if you have already determined that you need one. Having said all that, I gifted my 6" Grizzly cabinet style to my brother and sold my 8" Grizzly cabinet style to another woodworker. I have found that with the proper sawing technique and a good blade on the table saw, the jointer was just taking up space. Got rid of them 2 years ago and haven't looked back once.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Anything less than a 6" cabinet style is a waste of money. The most important feature on a jointer other than the knives is the length of the beds Get the biggest unit you can afford if you have already determined that you need one. Having said all that, I gifted my 6" Grizzly cabinet style to my brother and sold my 8" Grizzly cabinet style to another woodworker. I have found that with the proper sawing technique and a good blade on the table saw, the jointer was just taking up space. Got rid of them 2 years ago and haven't looked back once.
Amen! I have a jointer and use it for certian things but never to edge joint wood. My table saw and Forrest sawblade give me such a smooth edge that very little to no sanding has to be done and I leave them as is when gluing panels together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts