Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-finishing an old oak dining room table. This is my first time attempting to refinish furniture. I used a lamb's wool pad to apply the poly, and even though I thought I had rinsed and cleaned it thoroughly, there were TONS of fibers stuck in the poly. I picked and wiped out so many, but after it dried, I could see a thousand more fibers. I have lightly sanded a couple spots, but now the finish is grey-ish. I need lots of help. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do, short of starting from the beginning? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your first mistake was using a lambswool applicator. You should use a quality brush, or thin the poly with linseed oil and then just wipe it on with a clean old cotton t-shirt, then wipe off the excess. If you opt for the wipe on method, you'll need to apply at least 6 coats for a table top, due to the thinner coats that you will achieve, but this is my preferred method next to spraying.

The streaks will disappear after applying a fresh coat.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
If it was my project, I would chemically strip the finish and start over. If you don't it's likely that the finish will continue to read through repair attempts, i.e., streaking.

Use a wipe on method with a clean lint free "T" shirt material, folded into a square, as Julian suggested. I would thin with mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil, in thirds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts