Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some input on something I worked up last night. I haven't found many deal hunting sites peculiar to woodworking, and those that seem to be are basically just gateways to one or two affiliate programs advertising whatever the vendor says is a good deal, and the don't let people post their own finds. So, software engineer that I am, I built one and added a couple of deals that I though were pretty good (granted, a couple with an affiliate program link) :icon_wink:

My thought is that people (even vendors) could post deals they thought would be of particular interest to woodworkers (like the 100 bd-ft bundles of Mahogany and Walnut that someone added), or even things they want to sell themselves, without having to log in or anything. Of course if it starts filling with spam, I might have to figure something else out or moderate it.

Also, users can rate the deals by giving each one a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down (e.g. "Rated: 13 (+15, -2)" means 15 thumbs up, and 2 thumbs down). My hope is that the bad stuff would be weeded out by the users.

I also added an RSS feed, with is sorted by the date added, as opposed to the rating, which is how it's sorted online.

So, I'd appreciate any input you all have. Only a few groups know about it right now -- I'm really just looking for feedback at this point, although the deals so far are indeed real.

Also, there's not a way yet to delete deals that you add. Don't worry about this though, if you want to try it out. Just put "DELETE ME" in the description, or something to that effect.

Please let me know what you think.

http://plans.thefrankes.com/deals/

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John!

I added some more vendors, too. Are there any other big vendors out there that we should include? Here's what I have so far:
  • Amazon.com
  • Grizzly.com
  • HarborFreightUSA.com
  • HartvilleTool.com
  • HomeDepot.com
  • KnobsAndThings.com
  • Lowes.com
  • NorthernTool.com
  • Rockler.com
  • Sears.com
  • ToolKing.com
  • TrueValue.com
  • Woodcraft.com
  • Woodworker.com
  • Other (see description)
  • FSBO (For Sale By Owner)
Also, do you all think it would be helpful to allow readers to post comments on the offers, too?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts