Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
I think it bad for the wood and your equipment to have a humidifier running in a shop. I think it would have little effect on airborne particles of dust. A respirator works.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A humidifier would create more problems compared to what little effect it would have of weighing the dust down and keeping it out of your lungs.

You can build a cheap box fan like this:

Or improve your dust collection at the individual tools. Doing both is better.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A humidifier would create more problems compared to what little effect it would have of weighing the dust down and keeping it out of your lungs.

You can build a cheap box fan like this:

Or improve your dust collection at the individual tools. Doing both is better.
What sort of contraption is that? It looks like you found some sort of...air filter at Lowes, and have a box fan pull through it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
What sort of contraption is that? It looks like you found some sort of...air filter at Lowes, and have a box fan pull through it?
That is a homemade, cheapo, shop-air, dust filter, and it works! I removed the guard on the intake side and built a box that would hold (1) 1" cheapo filter and (1) 5" HEPA MERV 13 filter (about $28). The cheapo filter gets the big stuff and the HEPA filter gets the rest. I built two and place them where they will do me the most good. Most often one is wedged between the two sliding doors leading into the shop, blowing filtered air out into the rest of the basement.

In the month or so since I've built them, I've gone through about 4-5 cheapo filters. The first day I used them I was in the shop maybe 5-6 hours. Here's the comparison between a clean filter and the used at the end of one day:

I figure everything the filters pick up don't end up in my lungs or throughout the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts