Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to a pawn shop on Saturday and they had a Porter Cable router for sale... it looked in great condition, almost new. I looked at it and it said Model 1001, so I googled it on my phone and seen it selling for $99... so I put it back thinking it wasn't such a great deal. I went home googled it again and noticed that the price of $99 was just for the base and that model number was only the base, not including the router motor. I am not sure what model the router motor was but they were selling it for $80, do you think that's a good deal?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
The 1001 is a fixed base for the Porter Cable 690 router. It's not unusual to see a new PC690LR sell for < $100 on sale, so I don't think a used one with no warranty is a great deal at $80, but it's not too bad.

Here's a new one for $99 shipped:
PC690LR

The 1001:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I went to a pawn shop on Saturday and they had a Porter Cable router for sale... it looked in great condition, almost new. I looked at it and it said Model 1001, so I googled it on my phone and seen it selling for $99... so I put it back thinking it wasn't such a great deal. I went home googled it again and noticed that the price of $99 was just for the base and that model number was only the base, not including the router motor. I am not sure what model the router motor was but they were selling it for $80, do you think that's a good deal?
More than likely you were looking at a PC 690 or similar fixed base router. 1 3/4 HP and usually will accept either a 1/4" or 1/2" collet and is a good little router for trimming and small projects. I carry one in my trailer and use it all the time. If it was in really good condition I'd say $80 is a fair price for it and would probably buy it. Just make sure you look it over really well and turn it on first. :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
knotscott, beat me to it. But right along the same lines.

Another option....and I own one of these and love it:

Craftsman sells a fixed/plunged based router set for about the same price as the PC 690. The kit comes with both a fixed and plunge base for the router, variable speed and i'd swear it's a PC with craftsman logos on it. I think I got it on sale last year for $120.

here it is on sale for $79 :

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00917543000P?keyword=routers&prdNo=9

·
The village amadán.
789 Posts
That is a sweet deal! Sweet enough I just bought one and will pick it up in the morning! Thanks woodguy!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I run the daylights out of my craftsman router (mounted on a Rockler table). This is a very very nice setup.
The craftsman router slides out and right in to it's plunge accessory in about 10 seconds. AND the whole router and accessories were $100 about 3 years ago.
If the router dies tomorrow (doubt it - runs like new), it was worth every penny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts