Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An answer to previous questions.

joasis: This is what she wanted, it was not my choice. She shares a condo with her friend and it was made for her room.

Harddog Wood: I finished it with Minwax Golden Oak, then Minwax Satin Finish. Steel wooled it then a coat of furniture polish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How hard was that to do? I saw that in a magazine and wanted to duplicate it. Lost the magazine so now I'm designing it from the picture on the web.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was in the May 2007 Wood Magazine. It was actually very straight forward to build. I made it from scratch, meaning I started with rough sawn lumber. Working on it 4 to 5 hours at a time, it was about a 5 week project. I save the plans from the magazines I get, so when she asked for something like this for X-mas I showed her my collection of ideas and that is the one she picked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, yes she really loves it. Already started to make end tables and coffee table to match. Per her request of course. Her neighbor asked her about me making her one with the tables and wants a price. So, I'm figuring what to charge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matching Tables

When I gave my daughter the bookcase, she asked if dear ole dad could make matching end tables and coffee table. So here they are with an extra touch. The tops have a cherry center and the rest is white oak. The end tables have a light to show off her nic-naks as requested.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
No, there actually a top and bottom frame (glued and screwed) then the legs atached to the corners. The side stiles were made seperately with M&T then glued to the top and bottom frames. The top I used a glue joint router bit. It was the easy way out I have to admit. The light was an after thought. I added some under my cabinets and had 2 left over. She really flipped over them, so I guess it was a good idea. My avitar is the original book case these were to match, which is also at the top of this post. Thank you for the positive comments, I appreciate that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts