Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're just tooo cool! I sent the link to my brother who's a collector of fishing equipment in general. Although he won't confirm it, I believe his rod collection is over the 100 mark. And he's big on the old time stuff too.

Interesting you should mention display cases for them. I just sent him some display boxes I made for him because he's thinking of selling selections of old lures.

I think it would be a blast to catch something on them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The set in the upper right, and some others, look a lot like some curly mineralized maple I came across (bought all the guy had.) It was mainly a lot of shades of red, but there was some bluish tone too.

Is that was they're made of?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Yep, that is what I make them with. Curly, curly spalted, burl...I have seen maple that has purple, yellow, red all the color of the rainbow. I spalt my own wood.
I set up a little generic site for them a couple years ago (?). I never really needed it (business wise), so I neglected it. I should spruce it up. I am not very proud of the site itself, but there are more picture of my lures there. Some with the colors you mentioned. http://woodallures.com/

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.....I got one of your lures in the mail today - from my brother in Brighton, MI. Weird timing - Tomorrow I'm going to my brother-in-law's to use his lathe to turn a few blanks for some - to send to my brother!

Should have known he wouldn't be able to resist getting some. I've got some cocobolo that should look nice. Pike like red.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'll bet I could biscuit-join all of those into some sort of cool table top, I just haven't figured it out yet.... :laughing:
Man, I could have saved you a bucket full of biscuits...if I had not cut it up in the first place :shifty:. Big old spalted curly maple crotch slab.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts