Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience removing these dark rings on a veneer top that from what I have read has penetrated into the actual wood veneer.

First two pictures: 2 arrows pointing to the dark rings (one more obvious than the other)
Third picture: Demonstrating thickness of the veneer and th down arrow pointing to the more obvious of the two rings

Have read things on bleaching or using oxalic acid. Because of thickness of veneer, not sure sanding this away is feasible.

For purposes of the picture, the finish has been stripped already.

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
27,747 Posts
I wouldn't use bleach unless you have to. It's hard to get the natural color of the walnut back after bleaching. I would try the oxalic acid first and apply to just the dark spots with a small artist paint brush and see how much of the color you can get out. The next thing is to look at the edge of the top and see how much veneer is left. Often the veneer on antique furniture is two or three times the thickness of modern plywood and will withstand a lot of sanding. What I like to to is try to take half the color out with the oxalic acid and sand the rest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts