Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to start by saying I live in town and have a sawmill. I am zoned commercial, but I still get some funny looks. I mean I have logs piled that I am letting spalt, new logs to saw, slab piles... The whole yard is a mess with skidsteer ruts. We are moving into the country just out of town, when we find the right place. Until then my neighbors just have to deal with it. I was checking my spalt pile this morning (it has been unseasonably warm for central Illinois) and they are still cooking I think. I have a couple mushrooms growing out the end of a maple log...

That gave me an idea for a little decoration project I made this morning. I took some of my spalted wood and turned some little mushroom. Then I went to the slab pile and found a piece of lighting struck walnut I had sawed around on the mill and discarded. Put the 2 together and now I have a thingy for my desk.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
That's pretty cool. You shuold open an art gallery and don't make the mistake of pricing the stuff too low. If you charge enough, it will attract the ladies who shop professionaly to find things to outdo the other ladies in their Tea Club.

I would think that one should fetch the owner of a high dollar consignment shop in Beverly Hills about $850 - $425 being yur cut. :yes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's absolutely true, it just would take getting in with the right area with the right people with the big checkbooks. There is a guy that lives in my county that was a starving artist years ago and now has a gallery in LA (Steven Hunek studios). I supply rock maple for his picture frames and custom furniture products. He now has the name that people want in the ritzy areas of CA. They turn out custom desks, bedroom sets etc at some big $. Daren has the mad scientist thing going with ideas like the mushroom display. Things like that earn you the rep as an artist and the $ can follow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts