Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm Steve and live in Daphne Alabama just east of Mobile Bay. I'm just getting into woodworking. Have been building custom fishing rods for a while, then got into turning pens and then started buying more equipment and tools. I'm at a point where I'd like to actually start making something but Lowes and HD just don't have the woods I'm looking for. Is there a specialty lumber yard around these parts that I could find some, cherry, maples, burls and other hardwoods? WoodCraft carries some but not a whole lot.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Hi Steve. I make a few fishing lures, always wanted to try a rod. Glad to have you around, there may be some fishing rod questions bounced your way. Some of the guy here supply wood, some of us even specialize in stuff like you mentioned. I reckon you could find the hardwoods you mentioned locally, some of the stock (burls and figured wood) are a little harder to find. If you get bored check out my gallery here, some of my lures are in there and some burls and stuff. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=11&cat=500

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try This

Hi Steve,
I live in NE Mississippi and have acces to a couple of local sawmills, one has a kiln and the other has air dried lumber. You might ask around, local cabinet makers, to find out where they get thier lumber. One of the biggest cabinet makers in north Mississippi has put me in touch with a supplier. They are more than happy to help. Maybe you will have the same luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Darren! Rod building isn't hard. If you have an imagination you can build some cool rods. Once you learn the basics it's all go from there! I checked out you gallery and saw the pen you made using some dowels in the blank. I thought of that a while back as a pen for my mother-n-law. She likes cows so I was gonna take an alternative ivory blank and insert ebony dowels in various areas.

Wannabe.....thanks for the help. I do know of a couple of cabinet shops around the corner I can go ask. Good idea!

Thanks,
Steve

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Hey Roll Tide. I remember Daphne. Got a speeding ticket there once. We used to pass through there and some other town with a little yatch club that had a Sunday all-you-can-eat buffet that we used to take unfair advantage of. I was stationed at Bates Field when I was in the USCG.

Glad to have ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts