Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using Minwax® polyurethane finish and ran out, so I went Lowes to buy more and they were out. All they had was soap & water cleanup and I didn’t want that because I had had already Minwax® oil based wood stain.

That’s when I saw Rust-Oleum Polyurethane and it was cheaper. I put on my first coat and it was white, but cleared as I was brushing it. And then I noticed it wasn’t cleaning well in the mineral spirits.

On the second coat it just didn’t feel right and I thought it’s just the brand so I finally decided to find my glasses and read the label. Yikes it was the dang soap & water kind that I didn’t want. :eek:

So now I’m worried that I may have some trouble since I covered over the Oil Based stain.:blush: I hope I don't have to sand this all down again

Reactions: GROOVY

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I was using Minwax® polyurethane finish and ran out, so I went Lowes to buy more and they were out. All they had was soap & water cleanup and I didn’t want that because I had had already Minwax® oil based wood stain.

That’s when I saw Rust-Oleum Polyurethane and it was cheaper. I put on my first coat and it was white, but cleared as I was brushing it. And then I noticed it wasn’t cleaning well in the mineral spirits.

On the second coat it just didn’t feel right and I thought it’s just the brand so I finally decided to find my glasses and read the label. Yikes it was the dang soap & water kind that I didn’t want. :eek:

So now I’m worried that I may have some trouble since I covered over the Oil Based stain.:blush: I hope I don't have to sand this all down again
You need to be watched closely.:laughing::laughing: If the oil base was cured, the waterbase can be a topcoat. I wouldn't recommend it though. I prefer to keep like bases together as a finish if possible.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to be watched closely.:laughing::laughing: If the oil base was cured, the waterbase can be a topcoat. I wouldn't recommend it though. I prefer to keep like bases together as a finish if possible.

I’ll tell ya, I either need stronger glasses or send someone else to do my shopping. I was sure I read the can before buying it, but must have grabbed the wrong one after putting it down and reading another one.
Well it’s going to have to work, because I’m not sanding it down. I have an old 5 yr can of paint remover and I’m not sure that will work or not.
It’s funny because as I was brushing it on my wife kept saying I was missing spots and now I think maybe it just wasn’t sticking.

·
where's my table saw?
28,746 Posts
bless you johnny

If it weren't for you and your threads about questions and mishaps, this forum would be well., zzzzz let's say less entertaining. :laughing:
Here's hoping things can turn out well on this project for Ya.

I do understand about the directions on the can. They are often printed so small even cheater glasses don't help. If a finish WATER based it ought to say so in large letters. and vice versa.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
Mistakes happen. There may be some adhesion problems putting a water based poly over an oil stain if it wasn't cured enough but at this point I would just continue with the finish and if it peals deal with that problem. The only alternative would be to strip the finish off now and start over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts