Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to run 8" dado blades on a ten inch table saw? the arbor size is the same and the rpm on the blades is still with in the specs for the saw. I got a set for x-mas and I don't really want to have to exchange them. I don't need them very often but I figure if I can still run them on my saw then they would be a good set to start with.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can always run smaller as long as the arbor is the right size.
I just bought an 8" for my 10" saw.
I, personally have not seen a 10" dado. I'm sure they have them but it is overkill in any application a common Joe would have.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Is it possible to run 8" dado blades on a ten inch table saw? the arbor size is the same and the rpm on the blades is still with in the specs for the saw. I got a set for x-mas and I don't really want to have to exchange them. I don't need them very often but I figure if I can still run them on my saw then they would be a good set to start with.
Yep, I do it regularly and as Daryl said, it works just fine.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
The only ten inch dado setup that I've seen had a one inch arbor hole.

In reality, with a ten inch blade you can cut to a depth of 3-1/8". With an eight blade you loose and inch and the depth of cut is about 2". With a six inch blade the depth of cut is about 1".

For most woodworking uses, a six inch dado is sufficient. However most of us prefer the eight inch variety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I always thought that I would be wanting ten inch for my saw. But yes the arbor sizes match and I do see what you mean. Most dado cuts that I use are about 3/8" deep. But thanks for the help, greatly apppreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using a 8" Freud SD308 Dado on my Craftsman 1hp 10" tablesaw. It runs fine, but I always make sure to do multiple passes for deep cuts so I dont bog down the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts