Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An someone recommend a decent dado blade for my Rigid r4512 table saw? I have an adjustable (wobble type), but think its not so good. Also price is a factor also...

·
RAM Man
761 Posts
Freud SD206 has served me well.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I haven't seen any reviews lately, but when they were more common, the Freud SD20x (6 or 8) set was routinely given the best buy (or equivalent) rating. A lot of folks don't like tool reviews because of the conflicting interest stuff (publishers/advertisers), but I always found them useful, you seldom got to see so many side by side comparisons. Anyway, the SD206 set would be a good one. I noticed something a little different about a new set I saw recently; I think it was an Irwin (at Lowes). It had 1/2 as many chipper blades as you might expect. In place of the missing chippers were spacers (you read that right). The idea was to put a spacer between each of the true chippers to get your width. This worked because the teeth on the chippers they did include were 1/4" wide, so if you had two of them separated by a spacer, the extra wide teeth spanned the gap. Looked pretty cheesy to me, but I guess it works.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't seen any reviews lately, but when they were more common, the Freud SD20x (6 or 8) set was routinely given the best buy (or equivalent) rating. A lot of folks don't like tool reviews because of the conflicting interest stuff (publishers/advertisers), but I always found them useful, you seldom got to see so many side by side comparisons. Anyway, the SD206 set would be a good one. I noticed something a little different about a new set I saw recently; I think it was an Irwin (at Lowes). It had 1/2 as many chipper blades as you might expect. In place of the missing chippers were spacers (you read that right). The idea was to put a spacer between each of the true chippers to get your width. This worked because the teeth on the chippers they did include were 1/4" wide, so if you had two of them separated by a spacer, the extra wide teeth spanned the gap. Looked pretty cheesy to me, but I guess it works.
To me this would leave a less than flat bottom in the dado.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
For me, the final test is the flatness of the bottom of the dado. Since I use it for 1/4-3/4 box joints, the dadoes must be very flat.
I've owned 4 different brands of dado sets....well, one was a wobble type.:thumbdown: I had to have the outside blades re ground on all of them.
The one I use now is a Tenryu, excellent balance, superb steel and massive carbide. That set too, had to be reground. The outer blades created some really nice bat ears.:no:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
When I took college woodworking many years ago, the shop teacher taught us to use pieces of paper or card stock as spacers between choppers to fine tune the width.

Btw, I picked up a used Freud set at a garage sale for $10 and it works great. I tried the wobble type once and ended up junking it. I hated it.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Gene Howe said:
one was a wobble type
Sorry for hijacking, but what is a "wobble type" dado set?

Mark

·
Registered
489 Posts
With the wobble type I worry about extra wear on the bearings from the extra vibration. I have one but don't like to use it, I prefer the type with the outside blades and chippers in between or a router and the right size bit.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry for hijacking, but what is a "wobble type" dado set?

Mark
A wobble type is a single blade mounted on wedge shaped washers that can be set to cut a dado. The amount of wobble determines the width of the cut. I hope I am describing it properly. Anyway you don't want one, It's hell on your tablesaw bearings and will not give you a flat bottom.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Good:
The Avenger AV-69930 6" set is one of the better bangs for the buck @ $57 shipped....same as the Oshlun set. Most sets that cost less are a waste of money IMO.

Better:
DeWalt/Delta 7670 - This was the best performing set in the $100 range....gives a taste of the premium sets for about half the cost, but it's worth noting that the price seems to have taken a ~ 20 jump....still a good buy for a very nice set IMO. Check Amazon, Ebay, and Grizzly for best price.

Best:
The Infinity Dadonator is the best set I've used.....it's the cat's pajamas. Starting ~ $180

·
Registered
239 Posts
A few weeks ago, I got the Delta 7670....just finished a set of cabinets, and am very impressed with the dado set.....flat bottoms.....works nicely.....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Besides that it cuts nice flat bottom dados, the Dewalt set comes in a nice plastic case, that keeps blades, and metal shims organized. It also has a chart, showing what blades and chippers to use for different width dados. Every time I used the chart, the dados came out the perfect width.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I purchased a Oshlun dado set a few weeks ago:
Oshlun SDS-0630 6-Inch 30 Tooth Stack Dado Set with 5/8-Inch Arbor - Amazon.com

I've cut quite a few rabbets in cedar using it. Very happy with the cut. Flat bottom except for the very edges where it cuts in maybe an extra 1/32nd -1/64th of an inch. The tips on the blades are a bit longer in order to score the wood, which causes this.

The only complaint I have so far is it did not come with a nice storage case, although it did come in a sturdy cardboard box with flaps to easily open/close it and foam spaces between the blades/chippers. So a very minimal complaint at that.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
FWIW, none of the mainstream stacked dado sets make perfectly flat bottoms. To reduce tearout, all use a top bevel grind on the outside cutters, which protrude slightly above the flat top chippers and cause slight grooves along the edge....aka "bat ears". The better sets minimize the effect to where it can be hard to even notice, but they are there.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! I am impressed with all the answers here. Not to mention the education about dado blades... Great conversation. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Not the first reason to buy a certain dado set, but a nice case is nice, for keeping teeth apart.
Here is a picture of the Dewalt/Delta set.

The dado set I bought before the Dewalt, arrived in a box with teeth on teeth and 5 chipped teeth.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts