Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to fit a Dado blade to an ElektraBeckum Table Saw?
Saw model number TKHS 315M

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've never heard of them but looked it up and could find no information. The best thing to do is to measure the amound of thread that is sticking out past the nut with the blade bolted on. If there is 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch of threads left visible then there is enough to bolt on a dado set.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thank you very much. I have only been doing the rustic stuff for about a 1 1/2 years. I have been in construction ever since graduating high school. I have tried it all and have always loved working with wood. The biggest problem is being young and right out of high school no one wants to give you a chance. So after paying my dues and doing other things besides woodworking I have eventually came around to doing what I love. The reason for the rustic is it is very popular around my area and it doesn't seem that very many people want to do it so I just kinda fell in a hole, if you know what I mean. I mostly do the wood floors but every once in a while I get to do furniture pieces.

Thanks again, Dave.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sorry to hear that redgum. After looking at the saw on the net it looks like a direct drive saw. Look at it this way, it now gives you an excuse to go buy a new tool.:thumbsup: :yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats the problem with european machines !!

the saw your are refering to is a european machine,
the top is made of alloy or flimsy pressed steel i assume.
unfortunately there are a lot of so called safety restrictions with these machines, an arbour only long enough for a single blade being the main one. i own an electrabeckum pk 200 precision saw myself, the arbour consists of an allen screw and flange washer which screws reverse thread to the 1/4 inch of arbour that protrudes from the self enclosed universal motor ( another problem) so its impossible to fit anything other than its own blade.
it is nearly impossible to buy a saw cappable of accepting a dado blade throughout europe, and very expensive to buy a machine with a cast iron top.
the topic of dado blades is red hot in the uk with a lot of the woodworking magazines shunning the use of them.
sorry for banging on !! hope this sheds a bit of light for you redgum.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I read an article about this topic in a WW mad garyni. I could hardly believe it. I don't rmember any of them, but the article gave the reasons why the dado hasn't taken in Euro.
like I said I could hardly believe it. I can't rmember what it is but they told how the Europenas make grooves. It isn't with a dado though I remeber that much.
Wish I could remember where I read that......

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is pretty well illegal to mount a set of dado blades on any table saw in Europe.

It is also illegal to use a table saw without a riving knife (or splitter). This makes it impossible to use dado blades anyway!

I get round the dado problem by having a set of dado blades permanantly mounted on a 24" radial arm saw and set to 20mm width. This I use for the basic construction of all my cabinets. It has to be an old saw (mine's a 30 year old Wadkin) as all new radial arm saws sold in Europe now have a short spindle which can only take a single saw blade.

We really are weighed down with regulations on woodworking machinery over here but having earlier this year taken the tip of a finger off on my planer (you colonials would call it a jointer) I am not about to start complaining about health & safety laws!

Duncan
www.thecabinetmakers.com

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow...I never knew that :blink: :blink:

I would never be able to survive without my dado blade......

Sometime I'll tell you about mt Freud dado set and the pole barn nails that it cut...:cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
It is pretty well illegal to mount a set of dado blades on any table saw in Europe.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whewwwweeee. And I thought we were regulated to inth degree already.
I feel for ya brother. I don't care if I cut my entire arm off in my shop I don't want Big Brother coming in and telling me what I can and can't do with my equipment.
One thing I have always said is I would never expand big enough to come under the auspices of OSHA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You make a good point. If I worked by myself as a sole trader the rules would not apply. However, I employ two guys so am hit by all the legislation the bureaucrats can throw at me.

If I was starting over...

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Actually I did have enough empoyees in 97 - 99 that I was under OSHA, but I just didn't worry about complying to what I considered any rediculous extent. Who can know all the laws anyway, and they never come out here in the boonies and I ran a tight ship and am safety oriented. Still, they can always gig you for any number of violations.

I have 1.5 employees right now. Need more but am gonna wait til next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts