Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys I am new to this but I need some help! I have debarked twelve 25 ft cypress trees to be used as post in my new home. I have all of them laid out 2.5 ft off the ground. Living in South Georgia it only took a few days for them to start showing signs of blue mold due to rain and hot weather. I have put a lot of work into these trees already and they will not see the inside of the home for about three more weeks. My intentions are to bleach them and pressure wash and bleach again for as they will be outside in the elements. Once I get the trees in the house I plan on sanding them and washing again. Then after they dry I plan on applying a polyurethane clear to them. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this and is there a better more professional way. My ears are wide open and I don't mind criticism. This is my first rodeo!! Right now at this stage of the game I am concerned with getting the mold issue under control. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cypress tree

6 were cut down two weeks ago and the other 6 were cut down 1 week ago! They are easier to debark when they are wet!! The flare at the base is more time consuming than the tree itself. Thanks, mark

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
You might have more luck posting your query in the forestry forum. Personally I think the logs need to season for years before using them but I only work with kiln dried lumber.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Agreed, I think your going to have problems just putting them in the house now. Can you find a mill that has a kiln that could dry them? Not sure if they can do whole logs or not.....but I'd try if it were me.

Maybe I'm way off base here....anyone in the timber framing industry have a better answer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts