Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Something
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between a single cylinder and a double cylinder lawn mower engine, BESIDES the obvious?
Does a single run hotter or vice versa? How about engine longevity? Any differences in mowing tall grass? Anything else?

I was hoping there might be a small engine person out there who could answer my questions.

Thanks

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Whichever one uses more fuel will generate more torque, assuming a similar efficiency. A twin will generate a smoother power output so it will have a smoother idle. At higher PRMs you likely won't notice a difference.

A given amount of gasoline will produce a given amount of heat when burned. Burn more fuel and you'll generate more heat. Burn less and you'll generate less. Bigger engine will take longer to heat up because it has more mass to heat. It will also cool more effectively because it has a higher surface area. The twin may seem cooler to you, but the cylinders operate at the same temperature as a single.

Which cuts tall grass better? The newer one with a sharp blade. Unless you get some seriously tall grass, I don't think you'll notice a difference based on number of cylinders. If the twin has twice the displacement and twice the power, then you'll definitely notice a difference.

Engine longevity depends on how well you take care of it. There's nothing innately better about how many cylinders you have on an engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts