Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
That's not exactly a thin strip by my standards. It looked to be 3/16". I would never set up a jig to do something like that. Getting down to around 1/32" is where I might do it. I rip 1/16" strips all the time using just the fence. Hard to be consistent while moving the fence every time.

But it is much safer.

·
Super Moderator
4,366 Posts
My brother was in my shop. He needed to cut 6 strips at .090". He had been using the move the fence and cut on the outside of the board way to do the job. His strips weren't consistent and he was getting frustrated. He had been at it for about 1/2 hour.

I took his board, set the fence at .090" and ripped the board until it was about 1/2 way through the length. Flipped the board did it again and removed the strip. Did it 5 more times. Took me about 45 seconds. You should have see the look on his face. He actually got the calipers out and started measuring my strips. +/- .003". Like he didn't trust me, HA.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have cut thin strips using the method shown but I am looking for something more accurate and to be able to cut 1/16" strips and lots of them. I was looking for a jig of some sort. Does anyone have something in mind. Something where I do not need to move the fence after each cut. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
JT, I use a jig (if you can call it that) for cutting thin strips that is basically a 2x4 jointed and planed square. I cut a piece the thickness I want the strip to be. I then glue this to the trailing edge of the 2x4 and attach a cuople of handles. I set the fence by using the jig and then the stock rides on the lip created by the thin strip. Cut, move the workpiece tight again and repeat. I have not tried this for something as thin as 1/16, but it works great for 1/8. I have these made up for 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8. PM me if you want a pic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts