Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building wood buckets. I just purchased a taper jig from Rockler that works great.
Here is my problem. I can cut the taper and angle (9 degrees) all at one time on one side of each stave, however I have turned the jig and the wood every way I can think of to cut the other side and nothing I try will cut the opposite side the same as the first side so I have to use my joiner. I know there has to be a way to use the jig for both cuts.HELP!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am building wood buckets. I just purchased a taper jig from Rockler that works great.
Here is my problem. I can cut the taper and angle (9 degrees) all at one time on one side of each stave, however I have turned the jig and the wood every way I can think of to cut the other side and nothing I try will cut the opposite side the same as the first side so I have to use my joiner. I know there has to be a way to use the jig for both cuts.HELP!
I think I have figured it out...

On the tablesaw, tilt blade for your first cut and make it.

Leave the piece on the table and turn it around so other end is pointing at you.

You should be lined up to make the second cut...

Won't that cut the same angle on both sides?

BTW,

Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
419 Posts
This may not be according to Hoyle

but, I believe I would cut the angle on one side using the fence only as in a straight rip cut. I would then adjust the angle on the taper jig for the cut on the other side. When this is done, a properly angled cut on each end using the miter saw and a positive stop should render properly executed staves with a minimum of effort. Yeah, I know, the grain will not be centered bu is that such a big deal?

Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all who replied. The problem lies in the fact I am cutting two angles at once. The taper that you all replied about but the problem comes into play on getting the taper and a 9 degree side angle all in one cut. I finally found the problem, the stave was hanging up in the grove for the stop on the angle jug.
I cured that problem by cutting a strip of wood that extends above the grove and attaching a "pusher to it and attaching the jig to the taper jig with double face tape. Again thanks to all who responded. Jim

·
Registered
714 Posts
This should help. Not a clear picture, but the red is a plywood jig, that can be used on any table saw. I bet you could cut a hundred in and hour.
I was thinking of something exactly along those lines...

The blade s/b at an 81* angle (to get a 9* cut) and the jig must be reversed for the second cut so that the 9* angles are pointing the correct direction. (I think) Yes?

Very well done... (could be a little bigger tho)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts