Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just wondering if any one have worked with plexiglass . got to cut a round table top, do i use my band saw are the router which one give the best look. never cut a round pic this large i will need a pic 4'5"x4'5" to get the size i want. :eek:

"THE SHOP OF TOP":

·
Registered
546 Posts
Very slow speed on the blade, the stuff melts quickly. It will often re-fuse behind the saw blade. Never tried a router. I would think it would have to be a really sharp blade, but if you slow it down too much it will start chipping.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
hi all just wondering if any one have worked with plexiglass . got to cut a round table top, do i use my band saw are the router which one give the best look. never cut a round pic this large i will need a pic 4'5"x4'5" to get the size i want. :eek:

"THE SHOP OF TOP":

You didn't say how thick the piece will be. For that size using a jig saw might be easier to handle. Cut close to the line. Use a block sander to get the final edge.

·
where's my table saw?
29,582 Posts
That size is not stock width

Stock widths in Plexi are 48" so you may have to special order it:
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Clear
I started using Lexan instead of Plexi because it's stronger and works/cuts without fusing back on itself, and is more scratch proof.
Also for a table top Plexi is soft and will scratch easily. If it were me I price out a glass top already cut to your size, In the long run it may be a better choice. :smile: bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Band saw for sure. I've never used a router on plexi so I'm not too sure about that, but have used bands quite a bit and find it pretty easy to clean up the edges. If you have access use a shear to make the crosscut. I've had circulars and such break corners off. If you do use a cicular try to have a board under the piece where you are cutting, this might help keep the corner intact.

·
where's my table saw?
29,582 Posts

·
But No Glue...
11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tell us more, introduce yourself,You'd be a great assest here for those types of questions.:yes: bill
I'm in the plastic industry, those links are my company located in Orange County Ca. Plastic is what we do, we have massive experiance with everything plastic. Cutting, tooling, fabrication, bending, forming, adhesives, polishing.... You guys are welcome to ask anything.
Here's a little video of one of our CNC routers. That's a 4 head machine going through 1/8" acrylic. The table router thing is similar.

Plastic CNC Machining

This is our primary site:
Orange County Industrial Plastics

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason i was thanking of using a router, seem to me if i make a template and make 2-3 passes taking a little each time would work well as for as using glass that old wind may come a calling again :no:

"THE SHOP OF TOP"

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're right. Rough it out to get all the scrape out of the way then a couple clean up passes. Wood router bits work just fine as long as they are brand new(unused).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ihave used a band saw for roughing a cut than I used a router with a new round over bit and table with 2 pins mounted for proper distance it worked well with little cost for tools.When Finished very carefully heat the edge to make it clear. I use a torch at about 6" away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently I had to make a plexiglass template. The plexiglass must be held firm or any saw may chip it. Low speed often is not enough to stop it from melting. I tried tin snips (of all things) to my wonder after scribing the plexiglass I was very surprised that it worked without damage. Then used a file to smooth out the edges.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I've cut Plexiglas with the brown paper still attached in a straight line using a RAS. I used three passes to make the cut. The first two just barely score the top and bottom. Then the third pass to cut the center portion. I used a 100 carbide tooth blade intended for smooth cuts in plywood and trim. I cleaned up the edge with a flat bastard file and a bit of formaldehyde on a rag to get a smooth finish. It was used in an industrial setting so furniture quality was not needed.

·
where's my table saw?
29,582 Posts
Interesting Topic, however TOP hasn't been here

For 23 days and he probably has solved the problem by now if he could find 4'6" wide plexi to start with. :no: bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
For 23 days and he probably has solved the problem by now if he could find 4'6" wide plexi to start with. bill
:icon_redface:
Sorry, I have a bunch of these manuals that I wanted to share. I put a few more up last night and am going to keep adding them as I have time.

·
where's my table saw?
29,582 Posts
Don't let that stop you from posting the manuals!

:icon_redface:
Sorry, I have a bunch of these manuals that I wanted to share. I put a few more up last night and am going to keep adding them as I have time.
Where are you posting them? Not under this Thread? Start a new Thread? Let us know, since this is a rather technical issue. Thanks, :thumbsup: bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts