Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm building a cabinet and mortising in a lock for the doors. What I'm struggling with is cutting the keyhole. I want to use a Keyhole Liner insert but am not sure what the best way to go about cutting the opening is and still having the insert fit snugly in the hole. I suppose a "keyhole saw" would do the trick but wanted to get feedback from the folks on here to see how best to accomplish this.

Or is it better to use an escutcheon and just forget about making the cut look nice.

p.s. i don't want to risk free handing a router using a keyhole bit. I'd lose my effing mind if I ruined these doors and drawers at the 11th hour.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is why I'm a member of this forum - to learn things. I didn't know a keyhole liner insert existed! I looked up pictures and now have a better idea of what this obscure piece of hardware looks like.

How about cutting for it with a trim router, a small straight cut pattern bit and a template? You would probably have to finish corners with a chisel (depending on the shape of the insert) but it would eliminate the freehand router work.

What's the size of the insert and can you provide a picture of it?

Bill

·
Registered
629 Posts
Fret/coping saw and a small round and straight rasp/file.
A router's gonna get ya into trouble on such a small operation.
Does the lockset have the centering pin for the key (key is hollow up front)?
If so, be sure to allow for the centering when ya lay out.
Bill

·
Registered
27,768 Posts
This is why I'm a member of this forum - to learn things. I didn't know a keyhole liner insert existed! I looked up pictures and now have a better idea of what this obscure piece of hardware looks like.

How about cutting for it with a trim router, a small straight cut pattern bit and a template? You would probably have to finish corners with a chisel (depending on the shape of the insert) but it would eliminate the freehand router work.

What's the size of the insert and can you provide a picture of it?

Bill
The liners I have installed were inconsistent in size and shape. It would make it impossible to make a pattern to mortise them with. Anyway you only do that once in a blue moon so it's just easier to mark a line and freehand the cut. I think I probably have only installed six or eight over ten years of having a antique restoration shop. Most of the time a full keyhole cover is used.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
So, I'm building a cabinet and mortising in a lock for the doors. What I'm struggling with is cutting the keyhole. I want to use a Keyhole Liner insert but am not sure what the best way to go about cutting the opening is and still having the insert fit snugly in the hole. I suppose a "keyhole saw" would do the trick but wanted to get feedback from the folks on here to see how best to accomplish this.

Or is it better to use an escutcheon and just forget about making the cut look nice.

p.s. i don't want to risk free handing a router using a keyhole bit. I'd lose my effing mind if I ruined these doors and drawers at the 11th hour.
What hardware are you using?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts