Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
C'man's idea would surround the cutting board. The board would rest in the middle and temporarily affixed to the surface, e.g. with a couple of pieces of double sided tape. The jig would be clamped in place.

The router would be place on the board, with the base against the jig, and the bit plunged into the board.

The circular part of the base would be kept against the jig as the router is moved along each side of the jig.

The jig would be adjusted as needed for the router bit to trace the desired channel, e.g., 3/4in - 1in inside the circumference of the board.
i'd be worried about double stick tape underneath. my boards are pretty heavy. with the router weight on top and the weight of the board, I'm thinking the board could come loose under the router.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
i'd be worried about double stick tape underneath. my boards are pretty heavy. with the router weight on top and the weight of the board, I'm thinking the board could come loose under the router.
What I've done is get the overall size of the frame, and then cut spacers to fit around the board. That will keep the board fixed to the frame. You could sit it all on that rubberized web drawer/shelf liner, the no skid stuff.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
My setup using the festool guide rails uses a top bearing bit or bushings. The rails clamp underneath to secure the rails and the work piece to the bench.
The other side of the router is supported by a riser that attaches to the router.
Sounds complicated but is so simple and fast to set up.
Check out the festool web site and it may give ideas to fabricate a simple throw away jig for your cutting board

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I do the math and figure (the offset) and figure out a size that is the same shape as the board...

I hope that that came out to be understandable......:smile:

I typically cut a small rectangle (all of my boards are Rectangles) out of a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood. Find center, place template parallel to the sides, mount template with two finish nails, Route the gutter, Pull the nails and template....

Even though the template corners are Perpendicular, it creates rounded corners.

And I do it with a NON PLUNGE Router......

When its done, You can barely see the small finish nail holes....and really, two pin holes don't matter, in my world.:smile:
Using a template like that wouldn't solve the problem of accidentally running off the edge...past the template corner.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I just cut a channel in a cutting board using a router table. it worked well and I am going to start a new thread on how I did it.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I just cut a channel in a cutting board on the router table. it was very easy to set up and do the cut. I was going to start a new post on how I did it. I got a new computer yesterday and am having trouble. I got the camera to down load the photos to the computer. However, when I try to find the picture to upload by hitting browse but it does not find any files. I need a good training session on the new version of windows.
Tom

21 - 34 of 34 Posts