Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scribing lines at the corners of the channels and then using my plunge router with edge guide but I cant seem to find an easy way of cutting the channels accurately without risk and sometime over running the intersecting channel.

I also need to slow down at the corners causing burning with is tough to get out.

I don't have an effective stop for the router since I'm cutting so close to the edges - usually about an inch.

Any ideas? Have any of you designed something to accommodate different size boards but get perfect corners in your channels? Nobody has complained, everybody who's ordered them from me loves what they get but thats because I fix by hand or blend the imperfections. I need a more accurate way of doing to this to reduce labor time.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Some years ago, I made some cleaning/cutting boards out of Corian for the charter boat industry. The Corian sat on a substrate with stops on 4 sides. I made a shadowbox with enough side height to surround the Corian, and large enough that the router base ran against. I didn't get runoff, but you have to slow down for the corners.

Looking down on it the pressure exerted with the router is against the outer frame, not against the subject piece because of the edge guide. It's easier to control IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great idea with the adjustable jig. Any chance of elaborating a little bit on how to go about something like this? I actually tried to throw something together like that using scrap melamine which was probably a mistake, but only managed to frustrate myself.

·
7,222 Posts
Great idea with the adjustable jig. Any chance of elaborating a little bit on how to go about something like this? I actually tried to throw something together like that using scrap melamine which was probably a mistake, but only managed to frustrate myself.
One way is to cut slots in each side. Install hanger bolts in the end which butts against the side.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40988&cat=3,43576,61994,40988

Then wing nut or a knob to tighten the side.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43576&p=61994

If you do not want to use hanger bolts, can always use a barrel nut and a bolt.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43715&p=45375

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
One way is to cut slots in each side. Install hanger bolts in the end which butts against the side.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40988&cat=3,43576,61994,40988

Then wing nut or a knob to tighten the side.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43576&p=61994

If you do not want to use hanger bolts, can always use a barrel nut and a bolt.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43715&p=45375
I re-read my post. Anchor bolts just didn't sound right. Reading your post reminded me I misnamed them. So I edited my post to "hangar bolts".

·
7,222 Posts
I re-read my post. Anchor bolts just didn't sound right. Reading your post reminded me I misnamed them. So I edited my post to "hangar bolts".
I know the feeling. Yesterday I pulled some several days old cauliflower soup out of the fridge and asked my wife if it was time to throw out the cabbage soup. My wife reminded me it was cauliflower soup. I knew that, what I was thinking and saying were not the same. Brain fart. :icon_smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I know the feeling. Yesterday I pulled some several days old cauliflower soup out of the fridge and asked my wife if it was time to throw out the cabbage soup. My wife reminded me it was cauliflower soup. I knew that, what I was thinking and saying were not the same. Brain fart. :icon_smile:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: I'm guessing you know about C R A F T.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to both of you for adding additional information, but I am still not understanding.
Would your jigs be used to route with a collar or would they be using the base? Would they wrap around the outside of the boards, or sit on top of them?
Sorry for the newbie questions.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks to both of you for adding additional information, but I am still not understanding.
Would your jigs be used to route with a collar or would they be using the base? Would they wrap around the outside of the boards, or sit on top of them?
Sorry for the newbie questions.
C'man's idea would surround the cutting board. The board would rest in the middle and temporarily affixed to the surface, e.g. with a couple of pieces of double sided tape. The jig would be clamped in place.

The router would be place on the board, with the base against the jig, and the bit plunged into the board.

The circular part of the base would be kept against the jig as the router is moved along each side of the jig.

The jig would be adjusted as needed for the router bit to trace the desired channel, e.g., 3/4in - 1in inside the circumference of the board.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Festool makes adjustable rails that fasten together like C'man's sketch. I have used them for multiple tasks and they are straight and stay square. They are used with top bearing router bits

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I need to do some also. Just wondering if anyone has tried this on a router table. Looks like once the fence is set you would not need to move for all four sides. You would need reference points on the fence for where to stop and start the cuts. This could be marks or physical stops.
Tom

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Tries it with start and stop stops. It's safer to have a jig with a plunge router running around a track than dropping the work pice onto a bit.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Festool makes adjustable rails that fasten together like C'man's sketch. I have used them for multiple tasks and they are straight and stay square. They are used with top bearing router bits

How would they be configured to surround the board? if laid directly on the board, the channel is places too far in unless using a template guide..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts