Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bunch of Honduras Mahogany today from an estate sale and am thinking of mixing it and some maple for an end grain cutting board. I wanted to gather thoughts as I am seeing mixed reviews of using Mahogany for cutting boards (too porous, etc.).

Thoughts or opinions?

·
7,222 Posts
I picked up a bunch of Honduras Mahogany today from an estate sale and am thinking of mixing it and some maple for an end grain cutting board. I wanted to gather thoughts as I am seeing mixed reviews of using Mahogany for cutting boards (too porous, etc.).

Thoughts or opinions?
Just one opinion, I would not use mahogany, too soft, too porous.

FYI, the nice brown colour will become very dark if you apply oil on the end grain.

The mahogany and maple face grain would be a nice combination for a chess board.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with Dave...mahogany is too open grained to use for a cutting board, especially end grained. There would be too many places for bacteria to hide.
Just my 2 cents.

joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, could it be used on a board that would not have meat or fish cut on it - so just fruits and veggies, etc.? Far less bacteria there.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
But, could it be used on a board that would not have meat or fish cut on it - so just fruits and veggies, etc.? Far less bacteria there.
You will still have the same problem in the long run thought, an if its just you using it maybe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigcouger said:
You will still have the same problem in the long run thought, an if its just you using it maybe
Ok. Shoot - I really had my hopes up for a day! Though, I bought the box for $15 so it isn't a huge disappointment. Not sure what to do with it all???

image-1112630468.jpg

image-1344491836.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
Ok. Shoot - I really had my hopes up for a day! Though, I bought the box for $15 so it isn't a huge disappointment. Not sure what to do with it all???
You can use the mahogany in many projects, I just would not use in a board intended for cutting.

Key/hat/coat hanger. This one happens to have mahogany on the ends.

Hanger_Board_Joe_W_1 small.jpg

Hot pot / trivet. This has walnut and oak for the main slab, can be your maple and mahogany. People seem to like the pattern.

pattern_board_3_small.jpg

Towel/ dressing coat hanger for a bathroom. Could be coat hanger. No mahogany, just an example of a project which could use mahogany.

Sally_bath_hanger_web.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are many uses for mahogany. It is great for boxes and furniture. I agree, it would not be good for a cutting board. Of course, if all that dirty old wood is in your way you could just send it to me :laughing: :laughing:
Here's some mahogany pistol cases I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sorrowful Jones said:
There are many uses for mahogany. It is great for boxes and furniture. I agree, it would not be good for a cutting board. Of course, if all that dirty old wood is in your way you could just send it to me :laughing: :laughing:
Here's some mahogany pistol cases I made.
I love the pistol cases. What did you use for the pistol cushioning - spongy foam, spray in foam, etc? I'm looking at building a guitar case and can't decide how to protect the guitar yet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wouldn't combine really porous wood with non-porous wood for a cutting board purely based on the looks.

That's a great buy though - don't be disappointed!

Curtis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ctwiggs1 said:
I wouldn't combine really porous wood with non-porous wood for a cutting board purely based on the looks.

That's a great buy though - don't be disappointed!

Curtis
Yeah, after I laid it all out I was surprised at how much there was. Now to figure out a use for it all.

image-1548741099.jpg

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
No reason to be disappointed at all. You got a great score. If you really want to build a cutting board, I would just go get the correct wood from your local lumberyard and use the mahogany for something else. There are a lot of things you can use it for. Your imagination is your only roadblock.

Mike Darr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts