Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to about 700 walnut gunstocks In rough state.... They are 2" on one end tapers to 4" with one straight edge 16" long and 2" thick.... I am currently putting cabinets in my shop and I'm wondering if I could use these for the counter... Over all it will be 8' long and about 36" deep... I know I will have to offset them but how hard will this be?... I would like to put some white oak strips in to breakup the walnut.... I know I will prolly have to do this in separate glue ups but b4 I get too excited am I over looking somthing? Should I use biscuits? Is this possible?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Sell them........walnut is worth quite a penny....then buy hard maple for the bench.....

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
+1 Or build something with them so no one questions why you used the wrong wood for a bench top.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Cmac08 said:
I have access to about 700 walnut gunstocks In rough state.... They are 2" on one end tapers to 4" with one straight edge 16" long and 2" thick.... I am currently putting cabinets in my shop and I'm wondering if I could use these for the counter... Over all it will be 8' long and about 36" deep... I know I will have to offset them but how hard will this be?... I would like to put some white oak strips in to breakup the walnut.... I know I will prolly have to do this in separate glue ups but b4 I get too excited am I over looking somthing? Should I use biscuits? Is this possible?
I doubt if you build a bench top 2" thick there will be any reason to add biscuits. Use those on a non complicated weak joint.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts