Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grit do you sand your cutting too? Do you sand to a different grit for an end grain verses a face grain board?

Tom

·
7,222 Posts
I normally go up to 320 grit, which is the highest grit I presently have on hand for my random orbit sander.

I have only made one end grain board. I do not recall using any different process for sanding with the ROS.

With a face grain board, there is typically a portion where the end grain is exposed. I do sometimes sand this end grain by hand to 400 or 600 grit. Gives a smoother surface and can enhance the appearance of the grain.

Take a look at a recent post by Phind's where he shows his new end grain samples for his excellent wood identification site.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/new-end-grain-closeups-49050/

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I have been sanding to 220 and just wondering what other do. I like making boards but hate sanding.
Tom

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I rarely sand a cutting board past 180 grit. It is going to be cut on after all. ;-)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sawdustfactory said:
I rarely sand a cutting board past 180 grit. It is going to be cut on after all. ;-)
That was kind of my thought at stopping at 220. Just wanted to know what others are doing. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I believe I will continue to sand to 220. Glad to hear I was in the ball park.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts